Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sweet! Hope they all come up and are gorgeous cause we wants PICS! :D

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi, all. (c:

I agree with sumi, it's worth a try. Not sure how much would be too much . . . I have mulched with rhubarb leaves on the surface of the soil around dogwoods, just because. No apparent harm done.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My peas have kept rotting with all the record rain and running colder than normal. It's eased off some and the last batch of peas looks like it will be fine.

I've been busy so no garden stuff other than buying mom a dwarf thornless raspberry since she took a great liking to the one I bought earlier this year. She can't bend very much anymore so everything has to be able to live well in a pot so she can put out a chair, sit, and reach sideways.

I neee to bag up two more feed sacks of chicken litter for her. The last two surprised her with no smell and looking like good compost. I have a successful deep litter going in the large fowl coop. It never smells in there. I don't use straw in there except for nest boxes. Just pine shavings go down once a year on the top

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Blight is a huge problem here with our weather. They tell us to cover the plants or soil so water cannot splash soil up on the plant. We have what is called cabbage years and tomato years. Cabbage does well here. The years it does super well, tomatoes struggle. Cool weather all summer and extra rain.

Couple years ago we had 8 days only with the temp hitting 80 even if only for a half hour. I'm worried it will be like that again

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have had surprising success growing peas for shoots on just used duck bedding - pine shavings - sometimes with a sprinkle of compost on top, peas covered with a tiny bit of chopped straw. I think if they just have a little covering of something they sprout fine.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peas are pretty easy. They can take cold or they can take super wet. It was the 40s for highs and 9+ inches of rain a month for a few months that did ours in. We frosted last Wednesday. That's extremely odd for here. Our climate is usually very moderate. Very hot summers and very cold winters aren't normal. We had a very cold winter with record snowfall. We only get snow every few years and not usually much

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I planted cucumbers and tomatoes! DH planted seeds. I'm not sure what he put in. He has been mowing all morning. He mulched the tomatoes deeply with grass clippings. Yes! Pile it up! I hate weeding!

I planted garbanzo beans in containers, started hollyhock and Shasta daisy seeds in trays.

UPDATE: also noticed I'd forgotten to start pepper seeds this year! And bought pepper plants. DH couldn't find the cabbage seeds and asked for cabbage plants. I need a seed packet organization system! I got potting mix to start perennial seeds. I don't care if they don't flower this year, so I'll just keep starting seeds all summer.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Planted some hanging baskets with petunias, geraniums, and vinca on the chicken run. Also planted some perennials in the Garden Room, and got our corn planted.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still too cold here; I spent some time last night moving my lettuce into bigger pots. Everything is in 3 inch pots now. I did splurge and bought a 6-pack of snow peas yesterday. I think I can squeeze that much into a spare corner somewhere and hopefully they will give us enough for a few feeds.

It looks like it will be warming up by the end of the week though, and staying warm enough to plant some of my more cold-hardy babies- Yay!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its hot in Texas. 90 today. I hoed out the paths in the garden and watered. Still waiting for everything to come up or atleast become recognizable (tomatoes mainly) so i can mulch the rest of the garden.

Now its time for sweet tea and sun burn ointment

Latest posts