Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too much rain to do much. Instead, we went shopping for the materials to do a total revamping of the watering system. Luckily, it cost less than I feared, and my veteran's discount helped even more.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Way behind on the garden this year, but then again... so is the weather.

Yesterday, I considered my gardening venture to be downright aerobic. Sun, rain, sun... rinse and repeat... ALL. DAY. LONG. The only good news re: the weather was that it was stunningly COLD also. And WINDY. Thus... no black flies. I would drag out the tools, start working on the fence line, only to have a drenching rain come along. So, I'd gather the tools, and trundle them into the garage, figuring I was done for the day. 1/2 hour later, the sun would be enticing me back out. So... I'd gather my tools and head back to the garden... More wind, more rain... back inside. Did I mention that I live in a raised ranch? Up and down a full flight of steps to get this and that that I forget repeatedly on a day with static weather. Yesterday, I just about wore my legs down to little nubs!

Good news: I got 2 more posts set nice and deep. That S line is now well supported. Still have to attach the CP, lay in the cedar slab wood border, then add the deer netting.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday: :love I'm planning to loan my Troybilt to a friend, b/c I rarely use it. Hubby took it out of the garage, siphoned the old gas out of it (I don't think I've started it for about 4 years) replaced the gas, and it started up on about the 4th pull. Ran a bit ratty at first, but then evened right out. I took it for a test spin in the garden, evening out the main path, then shredding the lawn where the grubs are so bad. Picked up 20 - 30 grubs from every 20' pass. Chickens and robins had a feast.

Continue working in the garden. Planted zucchini, summer squash, and a single hill of sweet potato. Fortex pole beans, some of which are pre-sprouted. All these plants/seeds went under milk jugs or plastic tunnel. Will have room for some brassicas between raspberry rows, then finish out the garden with cucumber seeds, tomatoes, peppers, and egg plant. All of these will go under plastic of some sort. Saving one bed for mixed greens/onions.

This weekend, we brought back 8 barrels of wood chips, hoping to get an other 6 - 7 barrels today. I am thankful for hubby's assistance with this. I fill the barrels, he helps me pull them over the lip of the truck bed, then lower them into the wheelbarrow for distribution. I expect I'll need about 20 more barrels to complete the garden. The orchard is in sad need of chips, as well as the chicken run as well. Wishing I could get an arborist to dump about 14 cu. yd. in my yard.

Ticks are going to be an issue this summer. I pulled an engorged tick off the dog, hubby found one crawling on his elbow, and I've killed 2 more.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geesh -- I'd love to borrow a tiller today! Have 2 & issues with using both....one not tiller fault. :D It's on my "to do" list.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
During this 3 day weekend, I was able to spread 14 barrels of wood chips. When we got to the compost facility today, the mountain of wood chips had been reduced to a mere shadow of it's former glory. Previously, I could stand on the top of the pile, and look WAY, WAY down over the truck. Today, the tiny little pile barely came up over the truck bumper. It needs to come up to the bumper so I can fill my barrels, and slide them across a plank into the bed of the truck. No way could we LIFT a filled barrel into the truck.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I let the garden ducks out of the garden this morning...until I get more pest bugs in there for them to forage, they will join the flock out on pasture. They had eaten all the available tender greens ~odd bits of clover and the overgrown and gone to seed lettuce~they could but since there are no weeds in this garden, they finally were forced to nibble some pepper and broccoli seedlings to get some greens.

I'll put a couple of ducks back in the garden after everything is bigger and pest bugs start to show up. For now, I've not seen a bug or slug in the garden all spring, which is pretty cool indeed. When the squash bugs and beetles show up, I'll let loose the ducks of wrath upon them.

Just ducky joy expressed by ducks finally set free on the land!!! I could just hear the hallelujahs shouted in their feathery minds! :D

Tied up some tomatoes today, also some sunflowers. Will remove the fencing around the corn patch and till up the lettuce bed to reseed it to bok choi, chard, turnips and green onions.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I finished planting the last of the summer crops to the garden. I also planted a few irises around the greenhouse just to pretty things up a bit. We are ready to start work on our new watering system; which is based on Mittleider's automatic watering system. First we have to drill literally hundreds of tiny holes in a bunch of pvc pipes, that's gonna be time consuming.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you have a drill press, that shouldn't be too hard to make. I will definately add that system to my garden ideas notebook.

Latest posts