Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother I'm assuming your wood chips behaved & stayed put.

I put 12 eggplants next to a dozen or so peppers I need to transplant in a couple days. They are out of nibbling animals way & in garden area waiting. Will need to put up tomato support in a week or so.....assembling material as I wander around. LOL

Right now -- just enjoying the fact that I'm planted some! Lot more to go but, started. I left an area in the centerish, where I can put a chair.....set buckets, etc. LOL I do have a corner with a small tree...shade. Will have a rest spot, or two.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother I'm assuming your wood chips behaved & stayed put.
For the most part they settled back down where they should have. I've got a couple of thin parts where I need to add a shovel full or three to get it back to original thickness.

Sounds like you're making great progress!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just checked the garden out. It is so wet. My transplants look okay. None of those were washed out. My beans and corn might be washed in places. It was bone dry, and then we got 4 inches of rain. We are expecting more today. Gardening has gotten so challenging here in the last few seasons.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just checked the garden out. It is so wet. My transplants look okay. None of those were washed out. My beans and corn might be washed in places. It was bone dry, and then we got 4 inches of rain. We are expecting more today. Gardening has gotten so challenging here in the last few seasons.

i've been perching all my veggie gardens for so long to get above flash flood stage that i now do it by habit. the only things i don't perch are the tomatoes and onions. the peas are still there last i looked.

the dam blowout to the NW of here has been a bit of drama as family and friends live up that ways. all ok so far that we know of. my brother lives on a high spot so they were above the flood evac zone by a few feet and didn't leave, but they were up all night checking the water level every half hour. they had their canoe and life vests ready. ended up lending the canoe to someone who wanted to go get his dog.

whle the news has been reporting that two dams failed i cannot (as of yet) find any credible picture or report that the 2nd dam on Sanford Lake was in fact breached. it was overtopped for a while, but no pictures or reports by anyone credible yet that confirms it. kind of annoys me that the news stories are just repeating what others are already stating without actually checking or confirming. yes, the Edenville Dam was breached - that's upstream of the Sanford Lake Dam.

finally i did find a credible report of the Sanford Lake Dam also being breached. what a mess. no idea of when it happened.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug - Hope your family remains ok!

I picked 4 more lbs of green beans this morning and I still need to pick the other double row. Also got another good sized zucchini. I'm going to shred them up and freeze 'em. Zucchini fritters sounds pretty good right now.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug - Hope your family remains ok!

I picked 4 more lbs of green beans this morning and I still need to pick the other double row. Also got another good sized zucchini. I'm going to shred them up and freeze 'em. Zucchini fritters sounds pretty good right now.

thank you, i think they'll be ok. :)

i could use some green beans! i usually eat a lot of those in the garden as i am picking. green beans, wax beans, shellies, dried, we like them all!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i could use some green beans! i usually eat a lot of those in the garden as i am picking. green beans, wax beans, shellies, dried, we like them all!
I can't leave 'em alone long enough to get 'em to the dry stage, lol. Guess I need to so that I can save some seeds.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't leave 'em alone long enough to get 'em to the dry stage, lol. Guess I need to so that I can save some seeds.

we have some beans that are only edible as dry beans so that prevents me from raiding them for fresh eating. i usually grow between 30-50 different kinds of beans each year so that provides a lot of variety.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
made good progress on the project yesterday, pulled out the drain tube from one garden and was able to get that put in place in the house drainage ditch. then moved all the pile of leftover pieces of wood over the drain tube so it can all be buried by all of the pea gravel i have to move. if i am lucky i can get wheelbarrows of pea gravel moved today and that makes it much easier then to get other things moved back or taken out of the way. i will still need to remove one more section of drain tube from under the garden and the pea gravel which surrounds that tube, but i'm going to have to leave that for tomorrow or next week. planting time is getting here. :) :) :)

looked at the forecast for next week, warm and plenty of chances of rain. may be doing some planting in the rain. we'll see... :)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ooked at the forecast for next week, warm and plenty of chances of rain. may be doing some planting in the rain. we'll see... :)
This time of year (it's getting really hot) working outside in the rain is a welcome respite from the heat. I like pulling weeds in the rain...it's cooler and they come out of the ground so much better.