Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday I moved the duck tubs around. One under the mandarin tree and the other near my next planned veggie patch. Pull some weeds, smothered others with rabbit litter. Moved more pots around so the ducks could eat the grubs under them. I planted some pak choy seeds but right in the ground which often means they get eaten but I have run out of pots. I thinned out a few seedlings, they are still so tiny and seem so slow to grow. I cut the grape vine back and tried to start a cutting off another native bush.

The day is still young and all I have done is chase the opportunistic chook and daddy drake and mumma duck off the patio. I bet my neighbours hate me cos the rest of the ducks quacked their heads off during the short separation - before 7am :/

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FORTEX????? I've been saving my own seed for decades. Last year's seed crop was scanty, b/c we had such a short growing season, and I canned almost all of them. If I get skunked this year, I just might take you up on that. What's your experience with Scarlet Runner beans? I bought some to try just for the novelty. Wondering if they cut it as a green bean, or are better as a dry bean?

i've grown them twice, the first time i grew them they were already started and growing well in a gallon sized container. i had a great crop that year. the next time grew them i planted them directly in the garden when the soil had warmed up enough. not so good a crop, but some seeds did form. our season is a bit too short for some longer season beans. i did not ever eat any as a green/fresh bean, but they are ok as a dried bean too, not my favorite, but they are edible. i grow so many other beans that i just do not have space for everything so i haven't regrown the runner beans recently, but i do miss the flowers - i'd grow them for the flowers alone if i had more fence space.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I rowed & hoed! Seems to be my place in life this year, with new space to tame. Pulled out some extra hose to get ready for it's placement/need...see what I have stashed so "no buy" still working. Then tested some soil...PH a perfect 7, potassium & phos great...only nitrogen a little low. NO problem -- shovel & bucket to hen house. Side dressed the started plants and watered. Not interested in more than side dressing rows -- the dang grass seems to think the nitrogen is just fine!! Next week I will think mulch.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I finished planting the winter squash, and finished hilling up the potatoes. Planted a double row of bush beans. I fertilized the first row of bush beans as well. Everything seems better than the corn patch which is good.

I need to plant sweet potatoes (I haven't picked up my second bundle of plants yet) and watermelon. Now, time to pray for rain and begin planning succession plantings and the fall garden...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got all my tomatoes in the ground. My 4 pepper plants also.
Need to plant yet: onions, blueberries, cranberries, corn, beets, zuchinnni, winter squash, peas, beans, lettuce, and spinach.
Can I grow spinach and lettuce in a greenhouse during the summer? The greenhouse has a vent I will leave open to keep it from overheating too bad. What do you think?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
squash loves heat --- maybe put those inside greenhouse?

Are you coming up short on space??? Hope I do soon.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finally put the potatoes out! Better late than never -- they'll do fine. They aren't hard to please. Plan to pick up the sweet potato starters I saw coming out this week. Love those sweets!

Still need to seed the dried bean varieties, and the Painted Mtn corn....I saw some Bloody Butcher in the stash, will do that, too. Prepped for carrot & beet...will sow tomorrow. I'll do a large 2nd planting of those about late July, for Fall crop & canning. Need to set out the cukes, now that I've gotten the summer squash & zucs moved/set. Winter butternuts should be showing themselves any day. I started 3 type of melons, marigold, & sunflower in starter hills. Will get transplant area ready next weekend or so. Seeing some BOSS starts from seed the chickens missed....those will be harvested and transplanted. Pretty and productive plants.

Gotta love a garden!! Work, work, work -- eat, eat, eat. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Finally getting things in the garden, but battling the heat and humidity. Got spuds in, also squash, pumpkins, maters, radishes, Mammoth sunflowers and also the more ornamental ones, with beans planted next to those. Will plant some beans along the mater trellis also.

Next is to finish building a 20 ft long x 3 ft wide raised bed....got all the materials in it~old, pithy wood, chicken compost, composted hay and leaves and mounded up soil.

Got a good bit of asparagus, rhubarb, garlic and more flowers to plant. Then will fill the other spaces with whatever suits my fancy.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tied up my 2nd row of tomatoes today. They are already reaching the top of the cattle panel, so the taller they get they'll just have to hang over the other side. Lots of tomatoes on them. The ones out in the garden are Mule Team. New one for me, but so far they are looking good. I have some Prax cherry's up near the house in mineral buckets.

Pulled up most of my Russian kale. It just wasn't doing good this year for some reason. I left about 4 decent looking plants. I planted some okra in that bed.

Also trimmed my marigolds. I got Crackerjack not knowing how large they get. They are as tall as my tomatoes! I cut them boogers down to size today.

Latest posts