Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I seasoled (seaweed fertiliser) the fruits and veggies yesterday. I might do some more today but everything is looking really happy. I love when the garden is green :D I picked a couple lemons and might make a lemon sponge today if I feel up to the cleaning it requires. I went over to check out my neighbours garden, and he commented that his seeds were slow to germinate and grow this year as well, but the lettuce plants he got as seedlings are producing. I really should go raid his garden more often.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Continue to fill blank spots in the garden. Tucking in some Nasturtium, 2 hills of Blue Hubbard, 2 hills of Butternut. If I can find the seed I bought, I also want to plant 2 hills of Buttercup. Have room for some more beets. And, a spot for some broccoli and cabbage, and some sweet onions. Marigolds, and calendula will finish up the garden. Volunteer potatoes popping up here and there. Will let the ones that are not in the way stay.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted potatoes, hilled for melon, sunflower & marigold starts. Watered & side dressed plants. Praised the row of beans for sprouting well! Thanked the 15 squash plants for standing back up after 2 days of droopy. Got carrots & radish planted. Cute "watermelon" radish -- hope they taste good, sure look pretty. LOL Mixed carrots, some Nantes and some mixed colors at one end....new to me ones, I'm trying.

Working at some weeding, hilling, rowing every day. Looking around for mulch to put out pretty soon. Yeah, gotta get those CPs up by the tomato plants -- within the week, hopefully.

Need to get the dried been varieties out -- colored corns & pick up sweet potato sets. Wow -- never ends! Sounding like the grocery store out there. :D

They say T-storms after lunch. Hmmm...won't water this AM.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We're due for heavy rains tonight. And rain tomorrow. Sure do need it. ground is bone dry. @Mini Horses , with all that praise going on in your garden, your veggies will put on a spectacular show for you this year! You are right: gardening never, ever ends. Last night, I spied a paper wasp nest in the hay over the potatoes. It was about the size of a large orange. So... I'll get my butterfly net out at dusk tonight, and see if I can destroy that thing w/o getting stung. If it rains tonight, that will make it even better for wasp destruction!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: Hey, I'm out there alone -- so I talk to the plants! My comments to the grass isn't as praiseworthy -- in fact, probably good that another human isn't there.. :hide

Plants still on good behavior. I fixed a hole in a hose, brought another up to use for the added length I need to far side. Once things are fairly "final", I will add a couple posts to mount the spinny waterer contraptions on, then leave a hose back to main one to hook up to on day that side is needing it.

Looks like both of us will get the garden watered well today & tomorrow. Nice. I hope to get a couple more things out there right after I finish this lunch break. Been weeding the limas & want to finish those, too. Will take a couple extra seed out with me to fill some blank spots.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pulled more weeds, 4 wagon loads thatwent on the burn pile and 2 that got fed to the sheep. Hot and tired.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
85* here today. Too hot to get out and do anything this afternoon. Just got message that my Dad is back in the hospital. He's been in and out all week, just had a pacemaker yesterday, and they sent him home last night.... The man is 94 years old. Seriously? both he and step mom have significant dementia. Sounds like hospital staff also has their own dementia issues.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hoe'd my garden this morning trying to finish around the tomatoes and green beans planted along the row I worked on. Started on it couple days ago in the evening but had to stop halfway because it got too dark despite my having a dusk to dawn light on a telephone pole in the pasture.
Plus, there was a storm coming and it was thundering and flashes of lightening, so I figured it was a good time to stop. Good thing, too, since about ten minutes after I went inside it let loose with a downpour.
Garden sure needed the water.
Took my cultivator in to see if it could be repaired. The primer bulb was dry rotted and the fuel lines need replaced. Its my Moms old one and it ran good last year but this year it wouldnt start due to the primer, I think.
If the repair guy can fix it, I can use that to keep the garden weeded. Right now, Im hoe'ing as much as I can til I get too hot or run out of steam.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My run out of steam switch kicks in after about 15 minutes. But, My Hubbard, and some of the cantaloupe seeds have sprouted! I killed the wasp nest in the potato patch. It ended up being yellow jackets. I gotta tell you guys: A cheap butterfly net from the dollar store is a MUST have for outdoor activities. Any time there is a pesty yellow jacket or wasp, it's a simple matter to drop the net over them, pin them to the ground, then stomp them with my foot, straight through the net.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted exactly 6 cuke seeds. Yep, only wanted 2 of each kind, so a pair & a spare! LOL And right where I want them to grow.

Thought I would go to work but, changed my mind. Rain "iffy" until late tonight. Humid !!! But, so much to do, in & out, Home I stayed. No biggie..

After this "hydrate" break, I plan to fill 2 pots with some nice dirt and plant the wormwood and oregano seeds. Then move those pots & the ones with the comfrey to the garden area....easier to watch & water. Eventually, the comfrey will be split and planted into ground "somewhere". Not sure where yet - thus these big pots. It works.

Looking at the T-posts & CPs......hmmmm, install those or hoe & row or....???? wish those were only things on this list! :hide