What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First harvest is detroit dark red beets. My wife is working on canning them with my favorite recipe.
IMG_20220611_163604531_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planting beans as much as i can get done. going ok so far. :) have sprouts in the first gardens i planted so that's good to see. tomatoes, onions, peppers all doing ok. strawberry first harvest is in. may not get much more. i didn't expect much from the patch this season and should turn most of it under this summer and replant, need to also get more organic material added and am daydreaming of how i might get that done... :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my favorites
I hear you, they are so good 👍 I guess it's a you like them or not veggie though.They say there's a lot of health benefits to beets, all I know for certain, is they give me long lasting energy.

I took a hand full of greens, stalk and all, and spread them out in the feeding through for the cattle, they devoured them. The cut tops, skins and roots from slipping the skins. I mixed into the turkey, duck and chicken feed also and fed them this evening. I used the rest of the greens and stalks to mulch in a side of green beans. So I tried to put the whole plant to good use

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
planting beans as much as i can get done. going ok so far. :) have sprouts in the first gardens i planted so that's good to see. tomatoes, onions, peppers all doing ok. strawberry first harvest is in. may not get much more. i didn't expect much from the patch this season and should turn most of it under this summer and replant, need to also get more organic material added and am daydreaming of how i might get that done... :)
What do you use to keep rabbits out of your strawberry patch? We are heavy in rabbits this year.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I hear you, they are so good 👍 I guess it's a you like them or not veggie though.They say there's a lot of health benefits to beets, all I know for certain, is they give me long lasting energy.

I took a hand full of greens, stalk and all, and spread them out in the feeding through for the cattle, they devoured them. The cut tops, skins and roots from slipping the skins. I mixed into the turkey, duck and chicken feed also and fed them this evening. I used the rest of the greens and stalks to mulch in a side of green beans. So I tried to put the whole plant to good use

Folks I know (like my wife) that don't like them swear they taste like dirt. However, a local restaurant up in Amish country made a pickled beet that my wife loved so much we took some home.