What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the chiogo beets.
I tried to look up chiogo beets. Google kept giving me "Chicago Bears," lol! SMH.....

I don't do beets anymore - they tried to kill me once so I leave 'em alone now. Thought I was doing good healthy stuff by having lotsa fresh beet juice - but oxalate poisoning is no fun at all.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With just over an inch of rain for the month and it hasn't rained for almost a week and this 👇I'm going to have to water the garden this evening. Green beans are suffering. I was out there just a little bit, picking cabbages and I'm soaked from head to toe in sweat. You all PLEASE be careful out there, it's cooking hot 🥵
Screenshot_20220613-125014~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With just over an inch of rain for the month and it hasn't rained for almost a week and this 👇I'm going to have to water the garden this evening. Green beans are suffering. I was out there just a little bit, picking cabbages and I'm soaked from head to toe in sweat. You all PLEASE be careful out there, it's cooking hot

i definitely drink a lot of water when it gets to be this hot, humidity is tough on Mom so the AC comes on and she can do things inside once it gets too hot outside. i am a wimp now too so i'll siesta.

not too bad today so far, but i'm done for the day now, i got an early start so i could finish before it got too hot out there - tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday will be much worse:
  • Monday
    Chance T-storms
    High: 81 °F
  • Tuesday
    Chance T-storms then Mostly Sunny
    High: 89 °F
  • Wednesday
    Hot
    High: 96 °F
  • Thursday
    Sunny
    High: 89 °F
  • Friday
    Sunny
    High: 81 °F

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried to look up chiogo beets. Google kept giving me "Chicago Bears," lol! SMH.....

I don't do beets anymore - they tried to kill me once so I leave 'em alone now. Thought I was doing good healthy stuff by having lotsa fresh beet juice - but oxalate poisoning is no fun at all.
SmartSelect_20220613-114047_Samsung Internet.jpg

I spelled them a bit off... but there they are.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With just over an inch of rain for the month and it hasn't rained for almost a week and this 👇I'm going to have to water the garden this evening. Green beans are suffering. I was out there just a little bit, picking cabbages and I'm soaked from head to toe in sweat. You all PLEASE be careful out there, it's cooking hot 🥵
View attachment 19183

We are also in a heat warning--rained this morning so it is nice and steamy this afternoon. My oldest works in the fields for her summer job and they are having them come in at 6 am tomorrow so they can end early. The week is hot and humid with highs in the 90s--same what what you have above lows in the 70s

When I got up at 5:15 am this morning it was 66F and 93% humidity

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are also in a heat warning--rained this morning so it is nice and steamy this afternoon. My oldest works in the fields for her summer job and they are having them come in at 6 am tomorrow so they can end early. The week is hot and humid with highs in the 90s--same what what you have above lows in the 70s

When I got up at 5:15 am this morning it was 66F and 93% humidity
The humidity is the worst part of this heat, it's like a steam bath out there. We didn't get any rain and it's still very humid.

Cabbage rolls are in the crock pots. Cabbage soup is on the stove. Cows got the fat vains from the center of the leaves. My wife said rinse and repeat tomorrow. She said we can freeze the heads, I only have a few in head, so I might cut, bag them and freeze them this evening. We are making soup and rolls with the leaves. They are pretty good, slightly sweet and heavy on the cabbage taste. If I could have gotten the cabbages set out 4 or 5 weeks earlier or if the weather would have stayed cooler longer, I would have more in head than I do.

Going to try 90 day Brunswick for fall/early winter cabbages. I'll have 6 rows open, once the cabbages are gone and the onions sense the equinox and fall over and bulb. Also thinking about broccoli, califlower and brussel sprouts for this fall.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anyone else use Clyde's Garden Planner? It's very handy and a time saver. Spring is on one side, fall on the other. It's kind of like a slide rule, set the last frost for spring or the first frost for fall and it tells you when to sow seeds indoors and set out or direct sow 👍
IMG_20220613_163840440~5.jpg