What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes me wonder! Hub got me a burpees bag of seed of "Oregon Sugar Pod II". I have no clue what they are. It also says "pea". I only like the Sweet peas in a can,lol wonder if I can grow them.View attachment 19268

they're really easy to grow. the chipmunks and groundhogs mostly ignore them inside the fence, i've not grown them outside the fence enough to know if the rabbits go after them or not. the best eating of them is when the peas are still just forming to right before they reach max size. very good. the pods are also edible but not as nice as some other pea pods.

i have cooked them up from dry pea stage and they are edible, but not my favorite food. i'd consider it starvation rations. mixed with other things you may not notice or care or perhaps you have different taste buds than i do. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pulled first garlic that my wife ran over it's top hat with the lawn mower. When I pulled it I noticed several little garlics attached to it's roots. I pulled them off and put them back in the hole where I pulled the garlic from and covered with dirt. I guess that was the right thing to do? Waiting on the leaves on the others to dry out before I pull those.

View attachment 19269

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

elephant garlic? if you don't need a huge bulb harvest the next year then replanting small cloves is ok, but it may be a few years before you see a bulb again that big (for regular garlic). if that is elephant garlic then i don't know how fast that grows as i've never had that here. :) if it's not elephant garlic and you want big bulbs again the next year only replant the largest cloves from a bulb.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A band a rain showers moving in. Hopefully won't have to water tonight

i was hoping some the rains i saw over more to the east would make it here again to give us another soaking. but no luck. i hope they'll come through for you it sure was nice to have rains this morning for us. all the gardens look so much nicer now after a rain.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Rain missed us, so I had to visit my little therapy patch....darn

Attachments

• 20220620_172947.jpg
    20220620_172947.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 65

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@flowerbug we are in for real heat tomorrow. Heat index 99,so it will be Michigan hot hot hot!.
I am not going to eat those pods. I would love to be able to grow the ones of the can, but I keep my cans,lol

My tastebuds are unique,lol I don't like a lot of things. I do not eat fish except when I go home or Florida and am a sucker for red snappers. Love seafood but no clams except scallops. No crawfish, but real shrimp and lobster. No Atlantic sea crab or fake crab meat. I like the land crabs from home.
Screenshot_20220620-194001_Chrome.jpg
A few years back, tried tomatoes and except and almost puke my stomach out,lol
Yeap, I am that weird!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
elephant garlic? if you don't need a huge bulb harvest the next year then replanting small cloves is ok, but it may be a few years before you see a bulb again that big (for regular garlic). if that is elephant garlic then i don't know how fast that grows as i've never had that here. :) if it's not elephant garlic and you want big bulbs again the next year only replant the largest cloves from a bulb.
IDK... Was here when we bought the place. All I know it it's stuff neck and has a purple ball top, grows about 5' tall and had 7 large cloves. Other that I know nothing more about growing garlic. Any info would be most appreciated.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸