What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
still suspecting an ornamental. big, tall plant with purple top is likely an ornamental. i want to see the color of the flowering top. next time, when you dig one up, if it has any bulbs growing get a close up picture of that. how the plant forms new bulbs is different among the alliums and some of the decorative ones will make new bulbs right off the little roots so it looks like a string of pearls (they all smell like onions).
Here's some pictures of the two spots where they were growing. Cows eat the tops off a few. I'm sure it was my Brangus steer, Brisket. That boy will eat just about anything that green, including sassafras and cherry seedlings that I was going to transplant this fall. I watched him do it.

IMG_20220621_152812169_HDR.jpg

Ha! These are not on the fence row, no cow can get to them. But 2 sassafras saplings decided to take root in with the garlic. I'm leaving the sassafras right we're it rooted.
IMG_20220621_152833987_HDR.jpg

Here how the cloves are in the bulb wrapper.
IMG_20220621_162713227_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
brr! i'd be freezing! we turn the AC down in the morning for a bit to get the humidity out of the house and then turn it back up again. normally keep it at 75 or 77. i'd be ok with keeping it even warmer but Mom is not ok with that so...
That is because you are from Michigan,lol I am not,lol I love winter.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really am amazed after the weather we had last week and starting again today the early jersey wakefield cabbage is still standing and making heads. I think I found a new spring cabbage variety for my zone 6B or 7. I'm going to try early jersey wakefield again next spring.

I gave this head to my daughter in law
IMG_20220621_173242439_HDR.jpg

And this one to my neighbor.
IMG_20220621_173227894_HDR.jpg

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Garden looks really really nice @CrealCritter . I finally got the old mulch hay stuff off the truck this evening... we have been slammed in the hayfields trying to take advantage of the nice weather... made probably 60 acres of overmature but nicely cured hay... in 8 different fields and travelling 5 miles from one area to another....and back. But everything that was down is rolled... Storms forecast for Wed eve and then 7 days of "20-40% chances" of rain and storms.
Hay was a little less than normal... but at least it was dried and not wet or green or crappy stuff in it...

Got a start on catching up with things in the garden now I hope.... will take quite a few evenings of serious work to get things the way I want, but at least there are plants growing and things looking somewhat promising. No more trips up north to deal with parents estate....Emptied the load of old mulch hay I had loaded the other morning... Tomatoes growing on plants, see some peppers, green bean plants looking good. Potatoes looking pretty decent. Summer squash plants getting some size and the vining plants... cantaloupe, green stripe crenshaw, cucumbers and butternut squash plants all up and needing serious mulching. Need to go find some more old hay for mulch. I saw some old rolls in the woods but don't know if I can even get them forked on the truck....They will never be able to be speared and loaded on the truck I am sure....they would just fall apart...sure would be good for the garden though.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Garden looks really really nice @CrealCritter . I finally got the old mulch hay stuff off the truck this evening... we have been slammed in the hayfields trying to take advantage of the nice weather... made probably 60 acres of overmature but nicely cured hay... in 8 different fields and travelling 5 miles from one area to another....and back. But everything that was down is rolled... Storms forecast for Wed eve and then 7 days of "20-40% chances" of rain and storms.
Hay was a little less than normal... but at least it was dried and not wet or green or crappy stuff in it...

Got a start on catching up with things in the garden now I hope.... will take quite a few evenings of serious work to get things the way I want, but at least there are plants growing and things looking somewhat promising. No more trips up north to deal with parents estate....Emptied the load of old mulch hay I had loaded the other morning... Tomatoes growing on plants, see some peppers, green bean plants looking good. Potatoes looking pretty decent. Summer squash plants getting some size and the vining plants... cantaloupe, green stripe crenshaw, cucumbers and butternut squash plants all up and needing serious mulching. Need to go find some more old hay for mulch. I saw some old rolls in the woods but don't know if I can even get them forked on the truck....They will never be able to be speared and loaded on the truck I am sure....they would just fall apart...sure would be good for the garden though.
I seem to like old nasty hay rounds for garden mulch. If you pull back the hay mulch after it's been sitting a few weeks, I think you'll understand why. Hope you can spear those rounds and get them loaded without loosing a bunch. It would be a shame if they can't be put to good use.