What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted another row of green beans. I've got one row of Purple Dove, one of Early Contender and another row of Accelerate. :fl
First picking of blue lakes went like this.

My wife, my neighbor and his wife and me picked two rows. The next day my mother in law shows up wants green beans. I picked her some. Then my son shows up the next day my wife gave him 1/2 ours. We are left with 4 quart baggies in the freezer. No worries though I watered them last night and we'll likely pick again Saturday. It's not a lie when I say not many peoples green beans made. Even the Amish, neighbor went to buy from the Amish. Their first picking of 112 row yeilded not even a 5 gallon bucket full. One of those seasons I reckon (happens sometimes). Around here, everyone is hot for green beans this year.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice everyone. Love to read your stories. Worked all day outside putting the hardwarecloth on second and third wall. Hate working with that. Need gloves, with gloves is hard to get the screws in the washers and screw them in while holding everything with my body. Then never fails that I screw the glove in with the washers,lol

Went to check the lettuce after watching the video a second time. I found a few. Sure they are sticky for sure,lol

Animals are all inside, including hub and I. Almost done with some pork ribs with grape jelly. Don't ask but will tell later how that worked,lol
Just gonna shower and eat later. I am done for 6 months now (I wish) until tomorrow when we work on the rest of the roof.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... Around here, everyone is hot for green beans this year.

they're a very popular vegetable, especially when fresh. perhaps the Amish could not keep them watered? i know this year without the well i'd not have much of anything out there in the gardens unless i were willing to haul buckets from the ditch out back.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
they're a very popular vegetable, especially when fresh. perhaps the Amish could not keep them watered? i know this year without the well i'd not have much of anything out there in the gardens unless i were willing to haul buckets from the ditch out back.
Can't speak for others but I'm not one to let the garden dry up, there's too much effort in planting it, to not care for it. As a matter of fact, I'm watering it again right now. The finger test, told me It could use more moisture after watering last night 😁.

Few visible GB hanging. Supposed to be two rows but looks like one wide row 🙄
IMG_20220818_181631369.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pork Ribs Alert!!!!

It was a success. We both loved them No tangy, just sweet flavor. I know it sounds crazy but hey, that's me. At least I know what I might be able to use.

True story: One day my daughter decided to do a pasta salad. SHe always mimics me on everything. However, she made a huge pot of pasta salad and she added cinnamon to it. It was discusting. Nobody had any. Yet, when she said "fine, I will eat it" we all jumped in and gave her ten dollar each if she ate the whole bowl. Sure enough, she got her 20 but not before she was in the nathroom with diahrea,lol Kids can do the craziest stuff. 20 bucks in 1986 was a very good deal. Now, they might ask you for a 50,lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My first planting of the Purple Dove bush green beans did well and I was able to save some seed after eating fresh and canning some. Planted some climbers later and they did nothing. Just like the limas. They grew well, flowered well, and never made a mature bean. I think it was too hot by the time I got them in the ground. Even my black-eye peas, that are supposed to love hot and dry, didn't love hot and dry.

I've got hopes for the fall. :fl I actually enjoy fall/winter gardening much more than spring/summer.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My first planting of the Purple Dove bush green beans did well and I was able to save some seed after eating fresh and canning some. Planted some climbers later and they did nothing. Just like the limas. They grew well, flowered well, and never made a mature bean. I think it was too hot by the time I got them in the ground. Even my black-eye peas, that are supposed to love hot and dry, didn't love hot and dry.

I've got hopes for the fall. :fl I actually enjoy fall/winter gardening much more than spring/summer.
I'm going to direct sow peas here within the next week. Couldn't get the variety I wanted so settled for 60 day little marvel. Should put harvest sometime near the end October, to middle of November.

I've had this old song stuck in my head big part of the day. Has been some beautiful days this week.

Very firsts that I found that were ready to be picked. There's quite a few out there that need more time on the vine.
IMG_20220818_211254592~2.jpg

Last edited: