What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My first planting of the Purple Dove bush green beans did well and I was able to save some seed after eating fresh and canning some.

i'm glad they worked out for you, they've always done well for me here. and also good to know you have a supply of seeds, but if you need more in the future i should alway have some as we've grown them every year since i first got them. i probably have a few thousand of these plants out there now with pods on them (i can't find any interesting crosses if i don't plant enough seeds :) - yeah, that's my excuse, besides the point that i like to eat them so it's good to have more planted out there than i can pick from to eat fresh beans).

Planted some climbers later and they did nothing. Just like the limas. They grew well, flowered well, and never made a mature bean. I think it was too hot by the time I got them in the ground. Even my black-eye peas, that are supposed to love hot and dry, didn't love hot and dry.

:(

I've got hopes for the fall. :fl I actually enjoy fall/winter gardening much more than spring/summer.

i sure can get a lot more done once it starts cooling off a little more. these past week mornings have been much more tolerable that it's nice that i can get back outside - at this point of the season even an extra hour a day makes up for a lot because many of the gardens aren't too bad now that the plants are shading the ground and not as many weeds can get going.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mt tractor has been down 3 weeks. No till. No mow. Lot of rain! Lot of work. No time.
IMG_20220819_112457.jpg
IMG_20220819_112533.jpg
Garden returned self to pasture. So finalized the attempt.... Did two things... Shown here.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
transplanted some more creeping thyme and then watered all the gardens. going to be hot today so i get to take a break. also i wanted an actual break so i didn't pick tomatoes (i'll do that tomorrow so i can put them up tomorrow night or Sunday).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mt tractor has been down 3 weeks. No till. No mow. Lot of rain! Lot of work. No time.View attachment 19974View attachment 19975 Garden returned self to pasture. So finalized the attempt.... Did two things... Shown here.
It's amazing how when a piece of machinery is down the impact it will have. My wife mows every week. Flat tires are common on zero turns and we've had our share. I finally bought and retrofitted no flat front tires. Then recently I purchased new wheels (rims and tires) for the back.

This week when she mowed she got a flat on one of the back tires. She pulled it into the barn, came and got me. Within 5 minutes she was back mowing. She dropped off the flat tire at the repair shop yesterday so they could put a tube in the tire, but there is no rush to get it repaired. Unlike last time she got a rear flat, she waited over 4 hours to get it repaired.

If we miss a week of mowing, like you it's tall grass city and takes a lot longer to mow.

Edit... I asked my wife if the tire is ready to be picked up. She said nope they haven't called yet 🙄

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goats definately eat! They aren't thrilled with the walk into a lot of heavy growth but, they sure eat their way in.😁. There's a path and it's expanding. A couple tasted some tomatoes leaves, left that. No eggplants gone. The banana squash is surving at this point...fuzzy leaves and vines may be why. The oldest string beans were trimmed but, newer rows left for now. Overcast and cool so they are good with no shelter. Slight chance of showers about daybreak...guess they'll get wet and mad at me. 🤷