What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Free pallet + a few screws + drill bit + cheap kiddie pool + cheap top soil + seeds = cheap portable raised bed garden, that's really hard to beat.
IMG_20220819_220446468.jpg

IMG_20220819_220651909~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter totally agree with free.

We went to Sam's and the FFH for feed and saw a huge pile of free pallets. So, we came home,sawp vehicles,hooked the trailer and back we went. Now it sits at back to repurpose it.
20220820_110807.jpg
20220820_110743.jpg
Up since could not sleep because I was hurting all over. The only thing that does not hurt is my hair if I do not look at it. If I do, it hurts me to see how long it has been since I had it done,lol
This is what I worked on yesterday afternoon after finished the third wall of hardware cloth on the duck run. Removed dirt on one side to put Hardwarecloth as a skit. Had to do it 3 times to make it a bit deeper. However, came inside to use the restroom and had to do it one more time. My helpers pushed the dirt to the wrong side,back in,lol Ended up putting some netting at each end to keep them out.
IMG_20220819_155657_02.jpg
IMG_20220819_155657_01.jpg20220820_111058.jpg
Then picked one huge tomato. Almost a pound, :ep
20220819_200104.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
first batch in for getting sealed up. break time for now before finishing up. at least i have the routine down well enough i can practically do it in my sleep.

not much waste so i'm happy with that. about 1/4 of the tomatoes are big but have a lot of inclusions/bumps - the same plants also produced perfectly round tomatoes so it must be heat or weather related. either way they get done but the odd bumpy ones take more time to process.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
plenty of rains the past hours. i went out to check out the erosion control layers to see how things were going and found one blow out where a mole had gone under a ridge so i stomped it shut but now the water can go through what i stomped shut. will have to fix that sometime tomorrow or the next day depending how these rains keep going.

it's always fun to me to go and see what is happening and to play in the puddles. i got two soakers. :) need a good pair of boots and miss my old stockingfoot waders i used to have which were very lightweight and i put a lot of miles on them walking rivers and streams while fishing.

i wonder how full the North Garden is going to get...

and the River Nile is running.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
😂 I was looking at sunflower seeds last night (seriously). There's a hybrid variety called King Kong that's multi headed and said to be the tallest. I wonder if that's what's this guy grew?

I couldn't grow something that tall here, the wind would knock it over. But I see this guy built a wooden support around his, that's dedicated determination right there.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=king+kong+sunflower+seeds&ia=web

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Seaweed is excellent. But if it is high in salt it is best to rinse it off first.
Ive never had that problem, even planted seedlings directly into fresh seaweed taken from the beach and they grow just fine.