What did you do in your garden today?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nothing fancy, but thought I would get this and put it against the south side of the barn for a wind break and sun. Try something that wont break the bank before buying a greenhouse I want that is $2k
A trick I learned from a Master Gardener: if you run a line of small christmas lights ( those little ones, red is best for the heat) along the top of the hoop house, it will warm the top just enough to melt the underside of a snowpack and allow it to slide off before it collapses the hoop house.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am just going to put mine along the barn-no garden space being taken up. If I get some I get some, if not then I tried. I could eat berries all summer long. We had some good results with the strawberries I put in last year--got blossoms that I pinched off so the plant got the nutrients but on the 6 plants we would have had a decent amount if I let them go.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't think ANYTHING could kill blackberries.
One would think! But, being wet for months did 'em in. I want more!

I may or may not have just ordered these:

Need to get a bed built for them. EXCITED!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got a couple of strawberry plants last year, I was so excited, we had perfect little strawberries ripening and before we could try them, the sheep got ours and ate them😭 I told them they’re lucky they’re cute!
So relatable! DS6 steals ALL my strawberries! He is also lucky he is cute... :gig

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'll probably pick all of the kumquats that look ripe and the rest of the habaneros as well. I found a recipe for kumquat/habanero marmalade. DH would love it! I wonder if I can convert it to a sugar free recipe. Might give a small batch a try. Wonder if it would gel without real sugar?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll run out of space beffore I run out of garden wishes.
This is a problem for SS gardeners!! Like, if we want to eat it we think we should grow it. I've made myself look hard at how much I eat, how hard to grow, how much room, etc. Sometimes buying the product makes sense. Asparagus beds is one for me, also strawberries. The extended care can be decisive when I have daily animal chores and/or fencing out to consider. Fortunately, growing season is rarely a concern.

wow, I didn't think ANYTHING could kill blackberries
Goats!! :lol: They have sure cleared some of mine! Thankfully wild vines, so :idunno now I have to pick from those outside pasture areas. Don't need many. I do ok.

I do have to keep them away from my elderberry stands!!!! I fight for those.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I'll probably pick all of the kumquats that look ripe and the rest of the habaneros as well. I found a recipe for kumquat/habanero marmalade. DH would love it! I wonder if I can convert it to a sugar free recipe. Might give a small batch a try. Wonder if it would gel without real sugar?
Use the pink box Sure-Jell for use in less or no sugar needed recipes.

It has recipes that call for less sugar and a section that calls for a sugar substitute.