What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I really want to try making the marmalade so I'll be picking up some of the Sure-Jell!
I didn't even need the SureJell. It was a several day process because of my crazy schedule lately. That stuff jelled on its own. Woo Hoo!

For those who don't have a space for gardening this year - I saw something at tractor supply the other day. It's a fabric grow bed. Something like 16 wide by 16 deep by 6 ft long. It's a little pricey ($59) but hey - it's portable! I bet there's a more economical version out there.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't even need the SureJell. It was a several day process because of my crazy schedule lately. That stuff jelled on its own. Woo Hoo!

For those who don't have a space for gardening this year - I saw something at tractor supply the other day. It's a fabric grow bed. Something like 16 wide by 16 deep by 6 ft long. It's a little pricey ($59) but hey - it's portable! I bet there's a more economical version out there.
I have seen similar beds, various shapes, on Amazon. Was wondering how they worked. Was thinking about one for herbs.

Also if you have access to gutters or even can buy them as they arent too expensive, you can hang them on fences or build a base for herbs, lettuce, strawberries etc

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I have a gift certificate to TSC…. I’m going to check that out!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you sew, the rolls of weed fabric can easily be sewn into those grow bags. Large size need double layers but, works same and less expensive. :old those plastic woven feed sacks we dislike can be rolled down from top and make a grow bag for some plants...slit drain hole at bottom. Toss bag at end of season.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
those plastic woven feed sacks we dislike can be rolled down from top and make a grow bag for some plants...slit drain hole at bottom. Toss bag at end of season.
That's even better. I bet they won't last more than a season - sunlight seems to break them down. BUT - who cares! Get double duty out of 'em and then they can go!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It’s about that time of year to sit down and garden plan…. I love that part 😍

We have part of an old industrial sized greenhouse we’re going to get some greenhouse plastic for and finally use this year. Exciting!
Awesome!!!! we are building a frame with plastic for the south side of the coop about 3 feet high and 4 ft out for some starts :)

I love this time of year too. Onion seeds get started in a couple weeks in the bay window :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, a green house sounds so nice! Right now, especially. That covered area by coop will work great! I started one a few yrs ago. Corner posts in ground...heavy plastic in it's box in the feed room. :hide :old one day! Might get partially done this year? I really, really need to get starts going and that would make it so nice. Weather is problematic for all of us. Especially for you northern farms!! Heard words like " 40 below" on morning news. No way!!!:th:duc:idunno I won't complain about 30+ above...just shiver and whimper. 😶

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

The material the beds are made out of is different than weed barrier. It's much thicker. Let's too much moisture out the sides so everything dries out much faster than if there was a wood or metal side. They do not stop rodents. They things will chew right through it.

I got a 6 foot bed and a bunch of pots one year. I'll never use the pots again. Had to water everyday where same size in plastic was 3 to 4 days. I managed to kill mint in it. I've never killed mint before.