What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Brussels and cabbages are coming along, some better than others. But that's why I usually plant 2 rows of stuff. Probably about time to hit them with good ole homemade cheap liquid nitrogen fertilizer (1 TableSpoon unsented household ammonia per 1 gallon of water). I will fertilize as soon as the soil dries out some, from the rains we had over the weekend.
IMG_20220912_093638942.jpg

Jesus is Lord and a Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter : I was reading about the salt water plastic bottles floating in your regular waterer. Why do the salt water bottles, that are hold salty water inside of the plastic, have an effect on the fresh water surrounding the bottles? I moved up to So WA, and now have chicks. It does freeze here sometimes (8b) and I was wondering what to do about their water. The coop is down the hill and I would only access it once a day. Thanks for the chemistry lesson on how that works....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
@CrealCritter : I was reading about the salt water plastic bottles floating in your regular waterer. Why do the salt water bottles, that are hold salty water inside of the plastic, have an effect on the fresh water surrounding the bottles? I moved up to So WA, and now have chicks. It does freeze here sometimes (8b) and I was wondering what to do about their water. The coop is down the hill and I would only access it once a day. Thanks for the chemistry lesson on how that works....

Actually she filled the water bottles to the brim and replaced the caps tight so they didn't leak and sank to the bottom of the waterer. IDK give it a try see if it works for you. I have some 16 oz vitamin water water bottles that are thick plastic with good sealing lids, that I used to make naturally fermented ginger ale. That's what we will be using this winter.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I think I may have missed your question. Sorry about that. I'm not really sure how it works "chemistry" but it did.

If you have room in your freezer you could give it a try on a small scale maybe with a single small plastic water bottle filled with salt water brine and a gallon plastic pitcher. Remember though that the water feeds from the bottom with a chicken waterer. So see if the water freezes on the bottom of the pitcher.

I know it rarely gets 0 here, like it would in a freezer but we do get into the single digits overnight for about a week during the beginning to middle of February, warmer during the day.

Like you, our coop is somewhat far from the water hydrant and running an extension cord out there is not really an option either.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am exhausted 😩
No garden, no chickens, no ducks. Not even the dog got anything from me,lol

I am not even done yet. Still need to simmer 2 12qtz pots, and do the cans,and lids. Can I finish tomorrow?
No machines, just me and my hands. Hub helped cleaning the kitchen. At least the colander that I used just went straight to the garbage because it broke. Too much squeezing with the potato smasher.
IMG_20220913_162736_02.jpg20220913_183021.jpgIMG_20220913_162736_01.jpg20220913_183544.jpg