What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now that I know, I know, you know?

Mixed some in their feed
IMG_20220911_180219376.jpg

Just a few cut stems left. Leaves must be more nutritious than stems???
IMG_20220911_183455033.jpg

I was researching further, apparently there's lots of good stuff in sweet potato leaves, vitamins, minerals, even antioxidants and is fiber rich.

Cattle are smart... Put them on a pasture they know what to eat and what to leave standing.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @frustratedearthmother 👍 for the reply on sweet potato leaves. I think it'll be worth while to save some and feed a little to the cattle. I'll probably stuff some gallon size baggies into the refrigerator crisper to feed to the cattle a couple times a week.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They used to get local sweet potatoes in at the Farm Fresh we frequented in Virginia Beach. The first ones in would sometimes be the size of footballs or bigger. I found the thought of cutting them into manageable pieces for dinner intimidating.

One big one like that would be plenty for dinner for a family and maybe leftovers. We eat lots of sweet potato when I make it so your mileage may vary.

I had a friend in NC who grew sweet potatoes every year. I think it was a 10 acre field but can't be 100% certain. He grew some whoppers just like you described. The soil in VA, NC, SC, GA seems to be great for sweet potatoes.

I' was surprised to see a 4 plus pounder out of this soil. I was just pulling a few test plants and this one came out of the ground. My wife said I can't get over that sweet potato. I said just slice and dice it'll probably fill a couple quart jars. She said or it make a big heap of mashed sweet potatoes 👍

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
probably stuff some gallon size baggies into the refrigerator crisper to feed to the cattle a couple times a week.

While they're still growing,. Hang a couple vines and see how well they air dry and hold up...like hay. Save frig room for other stuff, plus dry ones can last longer. From pics, I'd say dry or buy another frig. You have plenty!!😊

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
OMG! The Blob that was an epic movie back in the days. Now if there are no claws or knives,or chain saws are not scary enough for people,lol
When the now wife and I first met (virtually), we chatted about old 50/60s "B" sci-fi movies. "Them!" is one of our combined favorites. I actually printed a copy of the movie poster as the cover image on my personal recipe binder

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That makes me questioned; Do I need a dehydrator or can I dehydrate leaves in an oven?
Need to go and read way back for a vinitorio??? Something to puree the tomatoes and get the seeds out. I am sure is somewhere in here,lol Hug left me 65 tomatoes all over the counter and table. Not feeling like doing any work for sure.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i wonder how dried sweet potato leaves would work as additions to soups or used as something like dried parsley? i haven't ever tried any of this so i'm interested if anyone else has? :)

This whole sweet potato leaf thing is new to me obviously. But I'm still interested... BTW I haven't eaten a raw one yet, still debating in my mind about that. Need to ask the Lord and see what He has to say about it 😁