What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Checked the sauerkraut. Smells like sauerkraut and no scum to skim. Just loose bits of cabbage. I think is going to make a nice kraut. Still see some fermentation bubbles. So i'll let it roll another week and check again.
IMG_20221130_195020949.jpg

My wife put up pumpkin puree yesterday. My granddaughter and I helped a little with the blender.
IMG_20221129_225454295.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Checked the sauerkraut. Smells like sauerkraut and no scum to skim. Just loose bits of cabbage. I think is going to make a nice kraut. Still see some fermentation bubbles. So i'll let it roll another week and check again.
View attachment 21450

My wife put up pumpkin puree yesterday. My granddaughter and I helped a little with the blender.
View attachment 21451
I did one of my Big Moose pumpkins and ended up with 31 cups of puree. I packaged the at 1 1/2 cups per package since that is how much is used in my pumpkin muffins recipe.

I have found the Big Moose pumpkins to be much sweeter than pie pumpkins.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Got a call yesterday from the gentleman that ran the free garden space at the local church. He was asking for feedback so we chatted for a bit. Next year they will expand the single plot size to 20'x20' and offered me space again.

He was disappointed about the low turnout and was worried they were doing something wrong. They were not IMHO.

It would be great if we could find a place so I wouldn't need this plot. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a call yesterday from the gentleman that ran the free garden space at the local church. He was asking for feedback so we chatted for a bit. Next year they will expand the single plot size to 20'x20' and offered me space again.

He was disappointed about the low turnout and was worried they were doing something wrong. They were not IMHO.

Sounds like a good convo. Glad he's reaching out for feedback - also glad they aren't shutting it down after one disappointing year.

Agree - would be awesome if you had your own place!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

I would guess it would take a couple years for them to have a lot of interest, new things can take awhile.

Glad you were able to have the conversation and glad you got another spot.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I know I'm preaching to the converted. However maintaining a graden requires dedication and physical work and knowledge. I know knowledge is my main inhibitor, you haven't seen me grow califlower yet have you 🤣

Unfortunately many times, some have illusions of grandeur only to realize that's there's not enough time due to personal commitments, life changes, maybe even knowledge is an inhibitor.

Perhaps an option of fact based training "introduction to vegetable gardening" might help the community? Cover the basics, increase knowledge, spark motivation, develop relationships. These are all positive things in my mind and you are a great teacher 👍

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I know I'm preaching to the converted. However maintaining a graden requires dedication and physical work and knowledge. I know knowledge is my main inhibitor, you haven't seen me grow califlower yet have you 🤣

Unfortunately many times, some have illusions of grandeur only to realize that's there's not enough time due to personal commitments, life changes, maybe even knowledge is an inhibitor.

Perhaps an option of fact based training "introduction to vegetable gardening" might help the community? Cover the basics, increase knowledge, spark motivation, develop relationships. These are all positive things in my mind and you are a great teacher 👍

I have thought about it, even talked about canning classes with our two favorite local veggie farmers. I might incur the wrath of the local certified "Master Gardeners". Had a run in with them a while ago about such a session.

The fact that the church could not get residents of the two nearby low income trailer parks to come get free sweet corn says a lot.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have thought about it, even talked about canning classes with our two favorite local veggie farmers. I might incur the wrath of the local certified "Master Gardeners". Had a run in with them a while ago about such a session.

The fact that the church could not get residents of the two nearby low income trailer parks to come get free sweet corn says a lot.
Titles 👎
You can teach the basics. People need to know simple things. like growing green beans is easier than "trying" to grow califlower, for example. Such basic knowledge will go a long way.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Certainly advertise for plot rentals!

With the free food/corn thing....if you consider just how much $$$ govt gives in "food stamp" programs, many are NOT motivated to work for anything. I agree with providing food for those who are income deprived, disabled, etc but there a few who just work the system. It's quite sad. Possibly the church could find a local food bank who would distribute from their locations.
Some truly need the help but are embarrassed to ask....and many are working, thrifty and inflation poor. 😞