What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks like i should be able to get the last garden finished today. a bit cold but not frozen or too windy and no rain or snow. will be nice to have it done at last. :)

looks like i'll just have a handful of peanuts for breakfast as a bit later Mom said she's making macaroni and tomatos. so, yes, i'm working for peanuts! :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
looks like i should be able to get the last garden finished today. a bit cold but not frozen or too windy and no rain or snow. will be nice to have it done at last. :)

looks like i'll just have a handful of peanuts for breakfast as a bit later Mom said she's making macaroni and tomatos. so, yes, i'm working for peanuts! :)
Sigh... Ours needs cleaning but too many irons in the fire at this point. I did go out and look at the cabbage and brussels last week. Several more heads of cabbage need to be harvested and baby Brussels sprouts are forming at leaf nodes. Pretty late in the season for Brussels. I don't know if they will make or not. Weather is the major contributing factor. Any advise on the Brussels would be most appreciated.

Weather forecast probably not that accurate.
Screenshot_20221208-172847.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did get all but a few last square feet of quack grass done. so that is good enough. if i get any other nice weather perhaps i'll go back and dig that up. always a mess there anyways without a controlled root barrier.

good enough considering how it looked a few days ago. also got the last of the buckets of wood ashes put on that whole back part so to have those gone will mean i have space for more come next spring. unfortunately i just didn't have the oomph i needed to get them dug in as well as i'd liked to have done, but i did get the ground cultivated a little bit so they'd not blow away or run off too easy. next spring it will all get lightly cultivated again (i rarely dig deep in gardens unless i'm burying debris or weeds i don't want to resurface).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... Any advise on the Brussels would be most appreciated.

i don't have that much experience with growing them (once - and we did ok with what we grew but they weren't great) so i can't say much other than good luck. :) our other attempts at growing cauliflower and crobboli (broccoli spelled by a dyslexic) have been eaten by groundhogs.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pretty late in the season for Brussels. I don't know if they will make or not. Weather is the major contributing factor. Any advise on the Brussels would be most appreciated.
The one time I grew Brussel Sprouts, they did not make any the year I planted them. The plants came back the second year and produced prolifically.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The one time I grew Brussel Sprouts, they did not make any the year I planted them. The plants came back the second year and produced prolifically.
Yes... Thanks for that ,👍 That's why I planted the in the first two end rows of the back fence. There's always another chance late winter early spring before the bolt in the heat of early summer.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Ha! My one attempt, fertilized with too much chicken manure, resulted in 7 ft stalks 3 inches in diameter with marble size sprouts. Epic fail

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ha! My one attempt, fertilized with too much chicken manure, resulted in 7 ft stalks 3 inches in diameter with marble size sprouts. Epic fail

ours were ok sized but the outside of them turned black. i like cabbage and strong flavors of cabbage so the way i liked eating them the most was fresh off the plant. steamed for a bit and then some butter was next favorite way.