What did you do in your garden today?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picture taken yesterday. Way too early for the rosemary to be blooming.

20230112_115111.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The term heirloom means different things to different people, just so you don't get caught off guard. Could be a combination of one or more of the following.

My take on heirloom vegetable seeds.
1) Been passed down from generation to generation (human generations). Generally first marketed in the late 1800's to early 1900's.
2) Grown locally to your geographic location for many generations (seasons).
3) Is open pollinated meaning it will produce seed that will mature and be a "duplicate" of it's parent.

Feel free to correct me or add to 1-3.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
I understand the same but I think that the person that told me is because of #3

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I understand the same but I think that the person that told me is because of #3
#3 is perhaps the most common understanding.

When I can, I like to try and grow from #1 though. I found there is tremendous amounts of flavor from a lot of those old varieties.

I have to ask myself... What would a person say from the late 1800, early 1900 about store bought tomatoes of today? The only word that comes to mind is FAKE 😂

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Heirloom" describes a seed's heritage, specifically a documented heritage of being passed down from generation to generation within a family or community. An heirloom variety of vegetable, fruit, or flower must be open-pollinated—or pollinated by insects, birds, wind, or other natural means—and "breed true," or retain its original traits from one generation to the next.

https://www.seedsavers.org/heirloom-seeds

Reneefolsom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought some Jerusalem Artichokes ( they were on back order). I live in zone 7 and going to plant them in my smaller raised bed it already prepared for them. My question is when is the best time to plant them.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When should I start seeds inside? I have the most space in the garage but it is cold there. I do not have a lot of space inside unless I take the living room, yet I do not keep the house at 65. It is usually at 63 in winter and around 62 in the summer. I know, I like cold. I need to stay cool ya know!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When should I start seeds inside? I have the most space in the garage but it is cold there. I do not have a lot of space inside unless I take the living room, yet I do not keep the house at 65. It is usually at 63 in winter and around 62 in the summer. I know, I like cold. I need to stay cool ya know!

every plant can be different as to how much time and what temperature it will prefer for sprouting. sorry you may need to set up a warmer micro-climate some place for them if you want them to sprout and grow.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is your last spring frost date? And do you have a Clyde's Garden Planner?

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/frostdates