What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I need to keep a journal. Have no clue of what I did last year besides being late for corn,lol Would love to get ahead of things a bit. @flowerbug need to set up a meet for some beans. Let me know how much or if you want something in exchange. Have ducks and eggs,lol yeap, that crazy chicken lady has eggs,lol

if you can get to the seed swap towards the end of February i'm hoping to be there. glad to give you as many bean seeds and other seeds as you'd like.

it's always been a great event for me to get out and see people and talk gardens and beans if someone wants. however it's really busy at times so it can be very fragmented conversations. :) very hard to plan things in the winter though when the weather can be crazy.

the seed swap did update the website recently:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm good with seed. If I don't have, won't get planted....not buying more.😁
I bought most all my seed last season, also saved some. Neighbors want a flat of "Better Boy" tomatoes which is a hybrid. I'll sprout them a 72 cell flat if they get me the seeds. They can grow them in their gardens. But I don't grow hybrid veggies on ours, except for sweet corn Honey -n Pearl SH2 is our favorite.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use heirloom 99% of time. On occasion, a hybrid gets in -- purple cauli :lol: or such. Which, by the way has been "sold out" for 2 seasons. At $5-6 for 25 seed, why? Anyway, I do save seed for/from most -- except the 2nd yr ones. It takes patience and devoted space. 🤷 Those are bought seed. I'm wanting to begin seed because I have the time but, too early.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am--after I get the greenhouse thing built-- going to start, tomatoes, egg plant, jalapenos, those seem to take the longest to come up when I direct seed them, so if they get 1gal container size before May I'll pot them up in bigger containers. I'll wait on the zucchini.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rosemary is trying to bloom. Way to early for this.
20230112_115111.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am--after I get the greenhouse thing built-- going to start, tomatoes, egg plant, jalapenos, those seem to take the longest to come up when I direct seed them, so if they get 1gal container size before May I'll pot them up in bigger containers. I'll wait on the zucchini.
For next year, I'm gonna try it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My corn seed just came in, I think that's all the seed I need. I won't be planting any cabbage this year. We were over run with cabbage, lat year. thinking about broccoli maybe collards or maybe not. I could try califlower or not. 🤔

Very nice that Victory Seeds sent me this in a email. I guess I don't need to look back to try and figure out when to start peppers and tomatoes.

The NGA data says that you have about 187 days of frost-free weather, which goes from April 12 to October 16. For transplanting seedlings like tomatoes, peppers and eggplants, start these seeds indoors around February 10. Then, around April 8 you should start watching the weather forecast and, as soon as no frost is in the forecast, go ahead and transplant those into the ground. If you're feeling like taking a chance, you could consider transplanting out as early as March 23 but be prepared to protect them if cold weather surprises you.
Cole crops like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage can be direct seeded into your garden around March 1, assuming the ground can be worked, but it's better to start them indoors around February 10 and then transplant them into the garden around March 23. Do the same with lettuce, spinach and similar greens.
Now, for all the summer vegetables like beans, southern peas, corn, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, watermelons, gourds and sunflowers, you should plant those seeds directly into the ground around April 12, or if your soil is still very cold, once the soil is near 60° F in temperature.

Latest posts