What did you do in your garden today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are three 4' long 2 bulb florescent fixtures on each shelf. Each fixture has one 8000k and the other is 5500K florescent bulb. These are good for growth but not good for flowering. which is what I'm after, because the seedlings will be transplanted into the garden. I'll get a picture of the seed table for you

Each shelf will hold 4 72 cell flats. It's coolest on the bottom shelf so that's where i have the onions and cabbages.
View attachment 18274

Light fixture height is simple hook and chain adjustment.
View attachment 18275

This seed table is one of the more practical things I've built. Just make sure the shelves are level because you have to water the seedlings and if not level then water is not equally distributed in the trays.

Edit... Sorry my memory is not as good as it used to be. The bulbs are 6500K and 8000K I saved the packages incase I have to replace bulbs.
View attachment 18276

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I have now added another project to our list, DH will love me! Haha

I wonder if it would work in our basement. It is pretty chilly down there now, in the 40s, but spring it is probably 50s (uninsulated, farmhouse basement)

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I have now added another project to our list, DH will love me! Haha

I wonder if it would work in our basement. It is pretty chilly down there now, in the 40s, but spring it is probably 50s (uninsulated, farmhouse basement)
Start your seeds someplace warm and then move them. They need warmth (but not bright light) to germinate. They might not grow fast in cooler temperatures, but the lights might kick off enough heat that keep them warm - especially if you cover the shelves?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

The lights are 32 watts each and there are 18 for a total of around 576 watts. So the middle and top tiers stays pretty warm. Maybe cover the whole thing with a blanket or something until the seeds sprout then remove and take the clear top off the trays. Plus I lower the lights to almost sit on top of the clear tray tops and that helps keep it nice and humid warm inside the trays for germination. I sprout pepper and tomato seeds on the middle and top tiers without any problems. Pepper seeds seem to be the most finicky, they need warmth to germinate.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds good, I just know if I have it upstairs our kitty will get into them ;) usually they go in the south facing bay windows but not this year:th
Really saves on buying seedlings for sure. I look at the bonnie seedlings at rural king every year and am thankful I start my own. The biggest expense is the light fixtures and bulbs. I did some pretty in-depth study to understand the correct K for the lighting. If I remember correctly the lower the K the greater the light is for flowering. So you would want to stay in the higher K (whites and blues) for seedling growth.

I have not studied LEDs and I surely would if I were gonna build it again but since I already invested in florescent, I'll stick with T8 florescents for now.

It's a easy build... there's nothing fancy about it.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have not studied LEDs and I surely would if I were gonna build it again but since I already invested in florescent, I'll stick with T8 florescents for now.
I replaced the ballast in my T8 fluorescent to make it compatible with LEDs. The old ballast went bad and had to be replaced. The LEDs that were available to me were a higher lumen rating and a higher K rating at an advertised lower electric usage. So far it is looking good.

Another way is to just switch to LEDs that are T8 compatible.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I use soft white LED shop lights. I have 4 shelves.

2 shelves have 1 light each. I use these for African Violets and "indirect light" houseplants. If anything, it's a bit too much light. I have had to move some plants to the far edge of the shelf or relocate them elsewhere because it's too much light.

The other 2 shelves have 2 lights each. I use these for succulents and seedlings. My succulents don't stretch under these lights.

I loaned my light meter to a 4-H family so I can't tell you what it is. I remember the shelves with 2 lights were at least as bright as outdoors on a cloudy day.

These lights are infinitely better than fluorescent grow lights. Cost much less! (it was cheaper to buy new lights than replace the grow light bulbs). My flowering plants bloom better with them. They cost less to operate. Easier to install and move. No downsides.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The biggest difference might be in how much heat they give off. LEDs will probably not be as warm and for some seedlings that is important.
Mine shelves are usually about 3 degrees warmer than the rest of the room. But mine are in a living area, so excess heat is not beneficial.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use soft white LED shop lights. I have 4 shelves.

2 shelves have 1 light each. I use these for African Violets and "indirect light" houseplants. If anything, it's a bit too much light. I have had to move some plants to the far edge of the shelf or relocate them elsewhere because it's too much light.

The other 2 shelves have 2 lights each. I use these for succulents and seedlings. My succulents don't stretch under these lights.

I loaned my light meter to a 4-H family so I can't tell you what it is. I remember the shelves with 2 lights were at least as bright as outdoors on a cloudy day.

These lights are infinitely better than fluorescent grow lights. Cost much less! (it was cheaper to buy new lights than replace the grow light bulbs). My flowering plants bloom better with them. They cost less to operate. Easier to install and move. No downsides.
If I were going to build again I would definitely look at LEDs in the 6500k ~ 8000K range for seed starting. Heat could be a consideration also. LEDs consume lot less wattage than florescents, so they are less expensive to operate. But wattage can mathematical be calculated to heat.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wattage+heater+calculation&ia=web

So IDK... I would need to weigh out the pluses and minuses. I've already invested in 4' T8 florescent fixtures and bulbs. But there's nothing prohibiting me from using T8 type LEDs tubes in my existing fixtures, when my existing florescent bulbs give up the ghost. For my purpose (seed starting) they just need to be 6500K or above (blue and white) range. As reds and yellows 6000K and below are more favorable for flowering.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=6500k+led+t8+tubes&ia=web

Good conversation 👍