What did you do in your garden today?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
First year putting mulch/straw down on the garden beds, for those of you that have done it before, what do you do with the straw? till it under? compost it? i don't have a huge amount about 2-3 inches
The few times I did that, just left it all summer as a mulch, since I had asparagus in that space.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First year putting mulch/straw down on the garden beds, for those of you that have done it before, what do you do with the straw? till it under? compost it? i don't have a huge amount about 2-3 inches
You are in zone 4, and can see ground??? In February??? :ep

Did you use a back hoe?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I add it to my lasagna areas. My long term plan is I'm doing lasagna garden aisles. When I'm happy with them, I'll switch and they will be the garden and my current garden be will be the aisles.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Man, if it was ONLY 14 here, I'd be in full, not moveable, multi layers!!!! That's just so rare temps here. :idunno 😁 And why I stay here. :love brrrr

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

nothing wrong with pulling it aside when the sun starts showing up and let the sun warm up the soil and then after you get planted and sprouts come up you can use it again. or till it in if you want, but do it soon enough to give it enough time to get broken down. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
2 72 cell flats of cabbage are up, need to thin them. Also 2 72 flats of onions are just starting to poke through. They are in the hoop phase, I'll need to snip them soon.

I went to menards, bought more 72 cell seed starting flats on "sale" for $4.00 each and some more trays and clear lids. Plus about 4 cu ft of potting soil. I need to get peppers and tomatoes seeds started soon. The cashier asked if I was getting a early start? I said no not really. But the lights were off in the garden center, so I wasn't sure I was supposed to be back there but I went in anyways and I was all alone.

They keep the bags of potting soil outside. And it's all on sale.over the winter but, its frozen solid. So It's gonna take several days of being inside before I can use it. This ain't my first rodeo... 🤣

I told my wife last night I despise sowing seeds in flats. I know how to do it and how deep to sow the seeds, they need a little warmth and humidity, but I just don't like doing it. But once I see the seeds come to life it amazes me every time, so it's a wash. It's a strange thing to take a dead dried out seed, sow it in soil and give it an environment to grow and it comes to life. It always amazes me every time.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meanwhile I got a aloe vera trying to escape it's nursery pot. It keeps falling over and having babies. My wife said I made it have babies. To my wife that's her way of saying it's mine to care for. It was hers untill I made it have babies, now it's mine (makes perfect sense doesn't it?) 😳 I bought enough potting soil to plant it in a big pot this time. Everyone we know gets a baby aloe vera to take home and I still have babies left over.
IMG_20220208_193753134.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸