What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finished planted the last of the larger gardens inside the fence with beans (and then watered everything that needed it) so i am taking a break most of the rest of today and hoping it rains for a few days.

i have a few small areas i can still poke some beans in but otherwise it's nice to be at this point of the season. :)

planting anything outside the fences means they may get eaten by critters so whatever i do it is bulk beans and nothing that needs protecting. perhaps more squash in the North Garden, we'll see...

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Transplanted black, white, and red beans. Put in soil calypso beans, sugar daddy peas, sweet peas,and spaghetti squash.
20230610_135448.jpg

20230610_135453.jpg

20230610_135505.jpg

20230610_135516.jpg

Weeded around tomatoes and peppers. This year I have way more stuff. The carrots never germinated, :(

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Went ahead of some rain and put some cages to the tomatoes. I need more but have to wait until the week. Also added more miracle grow soil and shaked some crushed egg shells. Chicken were dying to come inside. So silly, they could have flown but glad they don't, lol

20230611_103935.jpg
20230611_103932.jpg
Is it true that I can also mix water with dish soap to spay them for bugs?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is it true that I can also mix water with dish soap to spay them for bugs?

are they having bug problems? usually the only bugs i have on the tomatoes are the tomato worms which happen later when the plants are bigger.

without a specific bug problem i wouldn't recommend spraying anything. water and soap sprays take out all sorts of bugs including the ones that are helpful.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug not yet but was told about it but you guys are more reliable and knowledgeable than the one who mentioned it, so I just asked.

ok. :) soap and water solutions can help with certain bugs like aphids that are just starting to take out some special plants or flower buds, but generally aphids are food for lady bugs so i don't ever spray anything for those. for small infestations it can sometimes be dealt with by spraying with water to knock them off or to snip off the worst of them. in a few cases i will pull the plant instead of spraying (if it is an annual or a plant i don't mind turning into worm food) and burying it.

this season with everything being so dry i'm not sure what the bug situation is going to be like. the bee diversity is way down compared to normal. i won't really know how the melons and squash will go until they start blooming and i can see if the bees are in the flowers or not.