What did you do in your garden today?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Usually @Mini Horses is warmer than I am here further west, and my plants are just sitting there .... Tomaotes don't look like they have grown at all... nights too cool, and it has been dry here. We got over an inch of rain a week ago... but were 3 inches short for the month...

Got weed eated and mowed all around the garden and got the electric netting that I bought last year up this evening..... not electrified yet... but it is up... hope it will deter the deer for a few days until I finish it.... Green beans (actually purple ones) are just coming through and those S.O.B's mowed them off last year...haven't planted the "green beans" yet but did put in a couple short rows of wax (yellow) beans......they don't seem to bother the potaotes and I have alot planted this year... hope to sell some... have 5 different fingerlings and 15 varieties of "regular" sized potatoes... got 2 lbs of each to do some "trials" on what grows good and what I like for taste... and figure they would make interesting "sample baskets" to sell at the farmers market this fall.... plus I knew the deer wouldn't bother them much...Made a plat so I know which is which when it comes time to harvest and do taste tests... I used to always plant the "Russian Banana" fingerlings when I could get them for years and years... and got some other kinds this year.
I know that @CrealCritter likes Fedco seed co. for his grafting stuff... they also carry a big variety of seed potatoes... I splurged this year on different kinds and will see what I really like and next year try some other ones that they were out of this year; as well as more of the ones I really like.
Something nibbled on several of the pepper plants and I sprayed them with a deterrent... it is basically blood meal... and they haven't been touched since... :fl:fl hoping that will stop most of it and it is a good "fertilizer" in as much as it adds a little nitrogen into the soil too...
Temps are supposed to get down into the upper 40's tonight.... WHATo_O:idunno... I hope they are wrong.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Usually @Mini Horses is warmer than I am here further west, and my plants are just sitting there .... Tomaotes don't look like they have grown at all... nights too cool, and it has been dry here. We got over an inch of rain a week ago... but were 3 inches short for the month...

Got weed eated and mowed all around the garden and got the electric netting that I bought last year up this evening..... not electrified yet... but it is up... hope it will deter the deer for a few days until I finish it.... Green beans (actually purple ones) are just coming through and those S.O.B's mowed them off last year...haven't planted the "green beans" yet but did put in a couple short rows of wax (yellow) beans......they don't seem to bother the potaotes and I have alot planted this year... hope to sell some... have 5 different fingerlings and 15 varieties of "regular" sized potatoes... got 2 lbs of each to do some "trials" on what grows good and what I like for taste... and figure they would make interesting "sample baskets" to sell at the farmers market this fall.... plus I knew the deer wouldn't bother them much...Made a plat so I know which is which when it comes time to harvest and do taste tests... I used to always plant the "Russian Banana" fingerlings when I could get them for years and years... and got some other kinds this year.
I know that @CrealCritter likes Fedco seed co. for his grafting stuff... they also carry a big variety of seed potatoes... I splurged this year on different kinds and will see what I really like and next year try some other ones that they were out of this year; as well as more of the ones I really like.
Something nibbled on several of the pepper plants and I sprayed them with a deterrent... it is basically blood meal... and they haven't been touched since... :fl:fl hoping that will stop most of it and it is a good "fertilizer" in as much as it adds a little nitrogen into the soil too...
Temps are supposed to get down into the upper 40's tonight.... WHATo_O:idunno... I hope they are wrong.
Yes it's true, Fedco Trees and Fedco Organic Growers Supply I really like them both. I haven't tried Fedco seeds or the other Fedco divisions (yet) though.

But tell me what company you can call on the telephone and a real live very nice and knowledgeable person who lives in Maine USA answers the phone.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I lost 2 peppers and 4 cucumbers last night. Some damage to the squash and tomatoes.

We freaking frosted last night! 32° on my weather station.

I have replacements so will do that tomorrow.

Got my corn planted and my sprinklers set up. Also got the garden fenced with a temp fence for now. Keep the dogs out.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am glad we didn't get down that cold. It only went to 53 when they had said maybe upper 40's so I am glad.
Hazy cloudy today... say we are getting alot of the haze from the over 400 wildfires in Canada... possible showers tonight or tomorrow but I don't see it... We need some moisture but DS just cut another 30+ acres of hay yesterday and today so would rather it didn't for a few days. It ought to all be rolled by Sat eve...

Put in another 4 short rows of green beans, a row of cantaloupe where they can spread and a row of green striped crenshaw pumpkins at the end of the L shape where they can spread out too. Got out the one "cage" that I usually plant some cucumbers around so I can find the cukes and not have them get looking like oversized zucchini's...:hide..... I will try to get that planted tomorrow and going to put the sprouted left over potatoes from the house in a row down one side of the garden along the grass edge and just cover with mulch hay... they can do what they do... I've done it before and gotten some good ones in the past... but I have so many others in the garden from the experimenting this year; that I just don't have room for them... so it's along the edge with mulch hay or tossed out. I think they are mostly kennebecs and maybe a few Yukon golds... both which I didn't plant this year.

Time to start getting the mulch hay down before the weeds get growing.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not much. Still tired from yesterday. Went early to finish paying for the firetruck ac work and not happy with it.
Got some soil and feed. Stared at the chicks for a bit and then grabbed a bag of Kalmbach and a small bag of chick starter for the 5 peeps that Lupita is sitting on. Came home downloaded and the sun and heat prevented me from doing much. I did stole the eggs and checked them and saw no life in them. Nothing moved. Just a dark blob inside. So tomorrow morning will go to get 5 chicks at FFH and sneak them at night and pray she will take them. Feel so sorry for her. She has been sitting for over 26 days. First on fake eggs and once I saw she meant business, and gave her 6 eggs.
I did some weeding out and noticed that my tomatoes and peppers are not holding on. I need to put more soil on them or something.
I water them in the evenings and it has been kind of hard. I need something better than a hose.
At what time is best to water the garden for you? Should I get a sprinkler?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not much. Still tired from yesterday. Went early to finish paying for the firetruck ac work and not happy with it.
Got some soil and feed. Stared at the chicks for a bit and then grabbed a bag of Kalmbach and a small bag of chick starter for the 5 peeps that Lupita is sitting on. Came home downloaded and the sun and heat prevented me from doing much. I did stole the eggs and checked them and saw no life in them. Nothing moved. Just a dark blob inside. So tomorrow morning will go to get 5 chicks at FFH and sneak them at night and pray she will take them. Feel so sorry for her. She has been sitting for over 26 days. First on fake eggs and once I saw she meant business, and gave her 6 eggs.
I did some weeding out and noticed that my tomatoes and peppers are not holding on. I need to put more soil on them or something.
I water them in the evenings and it has been kind of hard. I need something better than a hose.
At what time is best to water the garden for you? Should I get a sprinkler?

Id die without a sprinkler. We have lower water pressure so many dont work but I did find some that do work. I have 3 set up in the garden connected to a splitter. I water whenever it isnt too windy to do so and they need it. So about every 3 days.