What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yay! last big garden inside the fence is almost done. at least the hardest part is done. now all that is left is to move some dirt to make it more presentable and to get a small garden cleaned up a little and then get four buckets of ashes scattered and turned in a bit. since tomorrow is forecast for rain i'm not expecting to get back to any of this soon, but perhaps i can get it done this week.

then of course, if i get that all done and there is still good enough weather i can find other stuff to do. there's always weeds, garden tinkering, water works, etc. :)

the forecast is actually looking like i may be able to get a lot more done this week. which is now pretty much bonus for making next spring easier. we'll see how it goes...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Alright! Feels good, huh?

for sure! :) i timed it almost perfectly. came in right at dark. i came inside to get a drink of water earlier and took a 15 minute break and told myself that with how early the light goes that i better get back out there. so i did. :)

my body was telling me it was done and i now know better to push too far past that as if i come in and rest then i'm fine the next day with a little sore but nothing painful or that will keep me from sleeping or anything. just tired muscles. which is what they should be after moving about 4 cu yards of heavy soil.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Going to drop this in this thread. Taking some time this morning to relax and dream. Considering pawpaws, really want the northern pecans.

Soil here is clay. After a month of being here, rain collects and the ground stays soggy for a bit. Back of the property is gently sloped, but I haven't walked back there much.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anything on the list look interesting?
Anything that deer won't eat! :p

I didn't know pecans would grow that far north - yay! Love it - and hazelnuts too. Pawpaws sound interesting. Raspberries, blueberries, elderberries...

Heck, they have fish for sale too! Maybe you need a pond? :hide

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Anything that deer won't eat! :p

I didn't know pecans would grow that far north - yay! Love it - and hazelnuts too. Pawpaws sound interesting. Raspberries, blueberries, elderberries...

Heck, they have fish for sale too! Maybe you need a pond? :hide

The berries are going to be a logistics issue. Need to think that one through. No pines or evergreens will be planted on my land. Lolol.

No need for a pond...this is abutting our property. Son is salivating over it.

Screenshot_20231209-101548_Chrome.jpg