What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked a cabbage. Totally forgot to take a pic - but I did put it on the scale. It was well over 4.5 lbs. I've got a small batch of sauerkraut going out of half of it and the other half will be used for something, lol. Might just sautee it up with some bacon and onions tomorrow. I've got several more that need to be picked soon too. I'll probably can some coleslaw out of some of it and maybe freeze some of it too. Thankfully cabbage keeps pretty well in the fridge so I'm not feeling so pressured to do something with it.

Have more broccoli ready too. Probably get some put in the freezer if we can't eat it all fresh. We love fresh broccoli though - so much tastier fresh outta the garden!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a 4x4 welded wire dog kennel with roof. I'll be wrapping it with hardware cloth, that I already have, and putting it on skids with a rope. Small house attached to a corner inside and it will be ready for weeding the garden.

It will weigh less than 50 pounds so pulling it along wont be an issue and the cockerels I'm going to put in can do so work. Hopefully with the chicken ability to kill everything, they will take out the invasive weeds I've been fighting.

Drawback is the rows will have to be a bit over 4 feet wide this year. I really did want to make them safe though.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've only grown cabbage here once and it was always a challenge to get the worms off it before they could burrow in. i didn't want to spray it or put a cover over it to protect it. yes, it was delicious. i love cabbages and almost every relative they have.