What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bought a little, half off, cheapo greenhouse to put on back porch for plant starts. Yeah, some pre cut tubing & big, fitted plastic sack, 4 plastic shelves🤣. But, it will get enough sun to heat it -- I can use one of my heat lamps if needed on bad nights -- and keeps the stuff out of my house. It'll work right now. Will be time soon to start up some of the cool weather plants real soon. Have all the potting soil, plant trays, etc. got those for 90% off at a couple of the dollar stores I work, late summer. Anyway, got text it shipped. So I'll get it put together next week. I will have a garden this year! Sooo many canning jars to fill.😄 More seeds here than Walmart!! 😱

I'm chomping at the bit! If Murphy's works, I'll set the new toy up and it'll snow :lol: but if I don't, no plant starts. Yeah, they sell them but I've already invested $$ and it's way less than buying starts because there aren't any "reasonably priced" sales areas near me. Most are the $5 per plant variety, catering to the homeowner with one 4x8 raised bed off the patio, by the pool. 😁:rant not an acre of veggies to can. I put out 30+ tomato plants...that's over $150 at Bonnie plant prices. If I drive 40 miles, I can get 4&6 packs for $5 but they're very young plants -- like 2-4 real leaves. Too tender to plant. Heck, I can have that here in a matter of 2 weeks. :idunnowhen it warms, a lot goes straight into the ground. It's the early to plant ones that get started.

What are the rest of you guys doing???

Heck, some of you are in short seasons. Not even thinking of plants yet :oops::pop. Sorry. I'm bummed for NO garden 2023...catch up time.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm looking out the window at the rains, no snow, a bit of green but mostly it is yellow to brown and gray out there.

i'm stuck on a project i need to finish up at last. made some progress yesterday, will continue to work on it today.

then i can get back to beans and taking pictures, that is much more fun and garden oriented. :)

spider hunting also has kept me busy some days here and also trying to give space for Mom to rest and heal up, so i've been reading during her nap times.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
2024 garden list started. After reviewing the home canned good pantry and how we are using/not using stuff, I think I am going to more slowly transition back into my gardening. For now, the bulk stuff like green beans, corn, butter beans, onions, and tomatoes, I will still get through my farmers market friends. Easier to buy in bulk and process in one or two massive canning sessions.

I won't be as ambitious as @CrealCritter , but going to start with asparagus, lettuce/greens, red beets, carrots - stuff that grows low to the ground. Going to start small until I get the critter mitigation plan figured out.

Still noodling on the trees/bushes - again varmint planning needs done first.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I have landscaping plans too. There is one 2'x2' little flower bed by the front door and a little bigger bed in the front of the house that is frankly pitiful. An ugly evergreen shrub is living on borrowed time. Lolol

I like my landscaping to be bird and butterfly friendly (I already have a suet feeder up that the blue jays and woodpeckers are loving). Also considering a milkweed patch.

The property still hasn't spoken to me much yet, but we're working on the relationship. 😀

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Smaller garden this year is probably a good idea, considering the other elements of the property you want to address. CC supplies to his family, also. Plus, seems he is home full time now. Fortunately, the family seem to help, on occasion.

Did you ever buy a tractor? I know you were toying with the idea when planning the move.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Smaller garden this year is probably a good idea, considering the other elements of the property you want to address. CC supplies to his family, also. Plus, seems he is home full time now. Fortunately, the family seem to help, on occasion.

Did you ever buy a tractor? I know you were toying with the idea when planning the move.
Haven't bought one yet. Still looking

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We looked at a Kabota (a letter?)7500 with 326 hours on it. Had the front loader, the back bucket and was in decent shape. $15K

Decided against it. Too much and hubs is having a hard time to even do the hard things anymore. Son bought him an electronic measuring tape, cus they both had words when hubs was struggling to measure something. Sadly hubs said he don't need no stinking electronic tape measure....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farm equipment is expensive! For ME worth it overall. Still adding attachments, pretty much each year, something. This year a tiller. Then I'm about done with what I need/use. Have a 5' disc but a tiller leaves a much finer result. I still use both, some places. Tiller I was using was returned to friend end of summer. Time to spend now 😁

Honestly, much of what I've bought has appreciated to more than I paid 😳 tractor has only lost a little of orig cost. 🤷 But not every farm needs one. It's my "hired help".

Changing attachments is challenging sometimes due to weight and the muscle needed. But I'm still doing it!! This year I'll use the grader blade that came with tractor 6-7 yrs ago for first time 🤣. Never needed....one of two type rakes have worked.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went on a long drive yesterday to pick up my tractor tiller. :celebrate barely used, newer than one friend had and a better model. Both King Kutter brand. So excited. Long story on why hers wasn't saleable, family death & relatives arguing. It'll rust away 😖

Plan to disc next week, till deep after -- weather permitting. 🤞 Retill before planting 👍

Last edited: