What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For some, the LAST zucs would be great! 😁 we all know about leaving these over achievers on someone's porch...:lol:

YES to all comments about the landscape cloth! But, it's great erosion control on ditchbanks! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its also good in bottom of containers to keep dirt in and let water flow through. Careful use is good.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Eeek! :weeeDH surprised me by getting an antique scythe at auction today! :love He was leading me on telling me that he only got a lawnmower bumper. :gig

He's my biggest skeptic, I can't believe he actually bid on it! I didn't even tell him why I wanted it - I sent him it in a list of lot numbers and that one the comment was "don't ask". :gig The other comments were like "rake in the garden is about to break" "square shovel in the barn is worn down, only a couple years left" etc.

I'm impatient to order grain seed! The company I will order from doesn't ship spring-planted grains until December.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
More weeding, we're getting to the end - the hard parts! So far DS14 and I are keeping up on hoeing and raking, but staying ahead of weeds between now and May is still tentative.

I'm reading books that are making me more committed to home-grown heritage crop and animal breeds/varieties. Now I'm revising tomato variety selection and planning to raise heritage breed chicks for meat this spring.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I ordered tomato seed from a research program to improve market tomato flavor without dealing with heirloom tomato problems. The research going into the project is remarkable. The varieties are available to home gardeners for $10 donation to the program. They are hybrid, but so interesting I had to try. I'm also looking for the top-rated heirloom tomato seed. Found it through Burpee's but looking for another vendor. Also picked out strawberry variety for flavor rating - they're too tender to be sold at a market but they're the real deal for flavor, apparently - and found a vendor. I'm not sure I can keep dormant strawberry crowns alive until spring, but they are almost half price ight now from a regional vendor.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I looked at my garden and thought "way too cold" :gig(28 degrees F!) Unheated greenhouse dropped to 42 degrees overnight - not bad after an overcast day yesterday and I left the blankets over the domes all day. We have a bit of sun this morning so I pulled the blankets off and hope it warms up.

I have 2 mailer pouches and a box of garden seed to open and organize. I need to draw out a garden plan, add planting dates to my calendar, send in soil samples and order soil amendments.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ordered tomato seed from a research program to improve market tomato flavor without dealing with heirloom tomato problems. The research going into the project is remarkable. The varieties are available to home gardeners for $10 donation to the program. They are hybrid, but so interesting I had to try. I'm also looking for the top-rated heirloom tomato seed. Found it through Burpee's but looking for another vendor. Also picked out strawberry variety for flavor rating - they're too tender to be sold at a market but they're the real deal for flavor, apparently - and found a vendor. I'm not sure I can keep dormant strawberry crowns alive until spring, but they are almost half price ight now from a regional vendor.
I have found azomite to be the best flavor enhancer for any tomatoes or vegetables.