Being able to do this is the goal.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1635968568640.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635968568640.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 111

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone use peat moss in their garden for winter? I have some that I am going to put down in the chicken run for the ladies but will have extra. Never used it before in the garden so not sure if you just lay it on top, work it in or don't use at all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Anyone use peat moss in their garden for winter? I have some that I am going to put down in the chicken run for the ladies but will have extra. Never used it before in the garden so not sure if you just lay it on top, work it in or don't use at all.
Use it for crops that like acidic soil. The pH of peat moss should be about 4.4 but I bought some that was 3.0!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I always worked it in. With our clay soil, heavy rain sometimes washed it off

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always worked it in. With our clay soil, heavy rain sometimes washed it off
we have some clay soil at the property too, good to know!
Use it for crops that like acidic soil. The pH of peat moss should be about 4.4 but I bought some that was 3.0!
I am on the hunt, thank you!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't use peat moss any more. i found out that i was much better off if i could grow things myself or import local materials (wood chips and/or leaves that people were discarding, or chunks of bark from people who were cutting wood and chopping it for burning or...).

when mixed into a garden i think peat moss was ok, but on the whole replacing it with worms and worm compost and learning how to do that works much better. i don't waste any kind of organic material here if i can possibly help it. i don't do traditional worm composting with only composting worms so every time i add worms from the worm farm to a garden i'm adding a mix of worm species. some will not survive but the native worms that i include in the mix of species does add those back to the garden soil and they will gradually colonise previously very dead areas of gardens. i've had garden spaces that were covered in weed barrier fabric that used to be perennial garden where i could not find a single worm in them when turning them and i could eventually get them restocked with worms again and then keep improving the soil conditions and my worm counts. it can take a few years to see results but it does work. :) (adding some worm refuge type spaces is a part of this too).