What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I managed to get 3 canes trained in the right directions without using any ties. Next is to prune the bottom wire canes to 4 to 6 buds each and prune the vertical cane once it reaches the top wire to two buds to grow two top wire canes.

This one is furthest along and it seems to appreciate being trained. Atleast it hasn't freaked out and started to grow a bunch of unwanted canes so far.

Screenshot_20240708_214828_Gallery.jpg

I'll probably amend with sulfur to drop the soil PH this week, it's a little high.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My peppers are in a don't know what to do stage. Tomatoes I think have stopped and plants are king of brownish. Too much water? I can't stop the rain. Will have to get some umbrellas and put one on top of each plant.😇
Corn is yellowing some but can ser some babies sprouting out. Did nothing outside today but help hub chase a snake that I notice near the burning rubbish. The storm of the 25th left me with a lot of branches fallen so he came to burn them all. He needed some gas for the mower and as I an giving him the money, saw the snake near the pile. He chased it way back to the fence and was able to hit in the head with a shovel. It was about 4ft long black and fat. He put it in the burning pile. Some fresh jerky, 😋
I spent all day organizing the office/craft/guest room. Have a market on Tuesday so I need to get all the stuff back in the shelves. My granddaughter asked me for a kirby bag charm and I searched it and made bug ones too. They came out pretty good for market,lolView attachment 26686
I knew a guy who called those rat snakes, long chickens. Because of all the eggs they eat. They sure do like chicken eggs.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter do the blue tubes remain on the vines forever? Or just until the plant heals from pruning? Are they wrap around and removable &/or reusable?
The mfg says to take them off when the vines go dormant. Something about the possibility of creating a micro environment and premature budding late winter/early spring. Many people leave them on until the end of the second year growing season for various reasons.

They are two part. Part A is the outer plastic bag tube. The second part is a stiff blue sheet you roll up and put in part A.

Old picture but Part A is the light blue, Part B is the dark blue. The support goes in-between part A and B.
Screenshot_20240709_123801_Gallery.jpg

I like them, especially for something like a grape vines, since it can only grow up.

Hope that answers your questions.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom's saving apricots for me. She said there are 12 gallon bags in the freezer now. I'll make apricot butter with them
I really like apricots. Apricots seems to be one of those fruits you either really like or you really don't like. Apricot butter sound delicious 😋

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I should be getting figs from friends tree before long. :drool. Dehydrator is waiting. Plus will make some preserves...still a few jars from last yr.👍

Peach jam looks good 😊 worth the effort. I love apricots...not any growing near me, that I'm aware of.

Apples, peaches, pears, blueberry & strawberry can all be picked in my area from farms. We have a good amount of local pecan trees too.

Last edited: