What did you do in your garden today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did add some straw and leaves this year. Maybe I will skip the post moss and look for some worms. I am not sure about growing them, though I am sure DD7 would love that.

My seeds should be here Monday, ground is still semi warm so that is good. Today I will be taking down the last of the fence and turning the last plot.

I love my garden but am ready for a break. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm agonizing over another 3+ month wait! Will check seed again..probably wear the packages down with the handling they'll get. I did organize them last year into type. Want to disc area, load with the chicken and goat barn clean outs. Gotta do clean outs first!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did add some straw and leaves this year. Maybe I will skip the post moss and look for some worms. I am not sure about growing them, though I am sure DD7 would love that.

it's really facinating to learn about worms, worm composting and well, soil biology and life itself. :)

i do things very cheaply and simply so if it will engage her interests:

learning how to do this in a closed system like a bucket was fun, i've been doing this since 2010 (wow time flies!) :) ... and by closed system i mean that if you overdo it on wet materials the bottom of the bucket may get rather swampy. all good fun for a kid though. :) even if you have to hold your nose at times. haha! (normally i can't smell anything at all unless disturbing the buckets down that deep).

always fun to talk worms (my 2nd favorite topic after beans) and worm keeping. i even got my dentist into it (he grows them for fishing) and then he got a lot of his family into it. :) it is funny too that sometimes when people come over the first thing they want to talk about is how the worms are doing. :)

My seeds should be here Monday, ground is still semi warm so that is good. Today I will be taking down the last of the fence and turning the last plot.

I love my garden but am ready for a break. ;)

yeah, by the time winter comes around i'm quite ready to take a break for a while. four seasons work out very well for my own temperament too. variety, but also routine enough that i don't feel too scattered.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
worked on the long narrow garden along the pathway for a few hours today. getting it cleaned up and ready for winter. i still have a few more sessions to go before i can cross this garden off the list. a lot of grass and weeds to remove and the gravel along the edge means i'll be doing most of the weeding in that part by hand...

it just felt so good to be able to be outside and get some gardening done. the gardens have dried out enough that i'm not walking on mud so that helps a great deal (making things lighter to move and also to not have the mud sticking to my shoes and shovel all the time).