What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do I see some aphids and aphid damage on the peppers? Still going strong though, look great!

Took me awhile... to figure out that old glory meant the flag... not old morning glories... since we were talking gardening, and they love to climb on fence posts. :lol: the flag though..... as long as it is up there sturdy... so it doesn't fall over etc.. I see nothing wrong with sticking it up all over.
Flea Beatles - common around here they attack the lower leaves. I never treat for them because the plants always outgrow them. The flea beatles can't get to anything but the lower leaves. Now if I plant egg plant the flea beatles would devour the young plant in a day. But peppers and tomatoes always out grow them. The only treatment I know of for flea beatles is seven and I don't like to use seven at all. I don't even have any seven, so I can't use it 😂

More info https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/flea-beetles#using-insecticides-3089113

Morning glory, they grow wild here and are basicly a weed for us, same with passion fruit. Yes Old Glory ---> 🇺🇸 :)

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Would it be wrong to fly smaller old glories from the corner posts of our garden? I don't know much about flag ediquiate.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Technically, unless you take the flags down at night or during bad weather, each should be illuminated. A farm nearby puts small American flags on each fence post lining the road for July 4th. My personal opinion is I am not a fan of this approach, feels more like "decorations" to me, almost like bunting. I prefer a taller lighted flagpole with a 3'x4' flag. I have seen some newer models that have a circular LED light at the top really cool. To each his own

My personal volunteer time with this has me more concerned with proper flag retirement. The proper flag retirement is ceremonial burning. So many flags these days are no longer cloth. Really generates some nasty smoke.

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All 50 strawberry bareroots have leaves! Spinach, lettuce and onions are up

Attachments

• 20220506_104832.jpg
    20220506_104832.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220506_104748.jpg
    20220506_104748.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 79

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Huh?

What kind is that?

this is a picture from a few years ago where i've enhanced the colors to show it more clearly, they really can be quite a bit more green than the above link shows.

DSC_20200315_135848-0400_177_Green_Worm_thm.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just picked a couple zucchini. One gold - one regular green. I went into the garden to pick the golden one because it was very visible. Almost tripped over the green one that I hadn't even noticed until right then.

I'm going to try to keep track of how much I actually get out of the garden. I've tried before and eventually I get tired of weighing everything. I'll try to do better this year! Of course it won't cover all the stuff from the fall/winter garden. Oh well, better late than never I guess.

Gotta start working on trellis for the climbers. Gathering fence posts and had to do a search for the pounder. It was exactly where I left it the last time I used it, lol.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just picked a couple zucchini. One gold - one regular green. I went into the garden to pick the golden one because it was very visible. Almost tripped over the green one that I hadn't even noticed until right then.

I'm going to try to keep track of how much I actually get out of the garden. I've tried before and eventually I get tired of weighing everything. I'll try to do better this year! Of course it won't cover all the stuff from the fall/winter garden. Oh well, better late than never I guess.

Gotta start working on trellis for the climbers. Gathering fence posts and had to do a search for the pounder. It was exactly where I left it the last time I used it, lol.

what i've done to make the amount tallying easier is take a certain size bucket and fill it so full and then weigh that and then i know. like for a 4.75 gallon bucket that if we fill it full of tomatoes it weighs about 22lbs and gives us about 7-8 quarts when canned.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's hot! By running outside for short stints I've got 6 t-posts pounded in the ground to start the trellis building. I want to make them taller so I'll attach some PVC to the posts and then figure out how to hang the trellis netting. I've used that netting before and it does a good job - but I remember telling myself I'd never use it again. But, I can't remember why I didn't want to use it again :old so I'm giving it another shot, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For me, the clean up of stuff off the netting was killer!! Bring you any memories?
By golly - I think that was it! I wanted to use them again but that was a horrible idea. They're cheap enough to toss at the end of the season. But - I know me - I'll try again to clean 'em up and re-use 'em, lol. Then I'll get frustrated. Then I'll swear to never use 'em again. And then I'll forget why and get some more....see where this is headed? :lol:

I ended up picking three more zucchini from the volunteer plant in another area. Hmmm... I'm already looking up zucchini recipes. Anybody ever heard of zucchini butter? Might be worth a try!

This one sounds pretty good too!