What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Problem #2 solved 👍

Big momma aloe vera and one of her 7 babies. I'm giving a baby away to a neighbor. I hope big momma likes her 1.3 cubic foot of bagged soil.
IMG_20220323_172105982.jpg

My hand for reference, crazy cacti 😜 why do women love this plant so much?
IMG_20220323_172125394.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ain't never sowed asparagus seed before. Buts it's just seed right? I've read some outlandish how to's on the internet. Anyways armed with a lot of conflicting information I sowed Martha Washington asparagus seeds in 200 shallow peat pot cells and put them on the top shelf of my seed starting shelf. I'll guess I'll see what is going to happen or not here soon enough. Package say It's only 730 days until maturity 😂.

I could be wrong but I believe I gleened enough conflicting information to:

start seeds indoors, harden off mid to late summer. Set out in a permanent location in a deep tilled area mixed with lots of compost in early fall. They should die off and pop back up late winter / early spring the next year. Don't harvest, let grow to ferns. That fall (second year) pull up all crowns that produce red berries on their ferns and disregard. They are females and don't make good spears since they put a lot of energy into making berries (seeds). The following year (year 3) in late winter/early spring harvest large spears sparingly or not at all to encourage strong root growth. The 4th year late winter/early spring harvest away but leave some spears to fern.

Wow that's a long time... But from what I understand an asparagus patch once established, can be productive for 10 to 20 years. So I reckon I might as well get started sooner rather than later.
IMG_20220323_204652588.jpg

IMG_20220323_205528187~3.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ain't never sowed asparagus seed before. Buts it's just seed right? I've read some outlandish how to's on the internet. Anyways armed with a lot of conflicting information I sowed Martha Washington asparagus seeds in 200 shallow peat pot cells and put them on the top shelf of my seed starting shelf. I'll guess I'll see what is going to happen or not here soon enough. Package say It's only 730 days until maturity 😂.

I could be wrong but I believe I gleened enough conflicting information to:

start seeds indoors, harden off mid to late summer. Set out in a permanent location in a deep tilled area mixed with lots of compost in early fall. They should die off and pop back up late winter / early spring the next year. Don't harvest, let grow to ferns. That fall (second year) pull up all crowns that produce red berries on their ferns and disregard. They are females and don't make good spears since they put a lot of energy into making berries (seeds). The following year (year 3) in late winter/early spring harvest large spears sparingly or not at all to encourage strong root growth. The 4th year late winter/early spring harvest away but leave some spears to fern.

Wow that's a long time... But from what I understand an asparagus patch once established, can be productive for 10 to 20 years. So I reckon I might as well get started sooner rather than later.
View attachment 18526

View attachment 18527

I've had good luck with that brand and variety. I sold plants the next spring -high demand, easy to sell!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I prefer fresh aloe for burns and wounds. I never had plants for very long. Mom and Grandma always had it on hand for that as well.

The grocery store I go to here always has big aloe leaves in the refrigerated veggie section.

Wow in the refrigerator section, seriously? It's just goo inside those leaves.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've had good luck with that brand and variety. I sold plants the next spring -high demand, easy to sell!
I direct sowed them, no problems. I used thick sawdust mulch to suppress weeds. Super easy for me! I missed a few when I dug them up to sell and theyre still doing fine. No trench or anything - theyre planted in a kiddie pool!