What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I direct sowed them, no problems. I used thick sawdust mulch to suppress weeds. Super easy for me! I missed a few when I dug them up to sell and theyre still doing fine. No trench or anything - theyre planted in a kiddie pool!
More ideas to consider... I have a line on empty feed tubs not quite as big as a kiddie pool. But I was going to grab some to compost in. And also with the hope of growing some dwarf citrus trees that I could move inside during the winter. Believe it or not they are a few citrus trees, lime and tangerine that will grow in my zone with over winter protection.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's just goo inside those leaves
Well the goo is good for many things. But burns respond well. If you use it before going into sun you will find a tan vice burn. Islanders gave me that info and it works!
. No trench or anything - theyre planted in a kiddie pool!
I have some of those seed. I like the kiddie pool idea. 😊. I don't have patience for a 4 yr wait to harvest. But that's why MOST people but 3 yr crowns to plant! Yeah, a good bed will produce for years. My goats would devour a bed if found and that would be really bad!!!! Heck, I have to fence them out of my elderberry stands and comfrey plants. Apple trees, also. 🙄☹️

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought 1 yr asparagus crowns and am finally on yr 3 so I can harvest some this year. Spreads really good, I can't imagine having to start by seed though, that is a really long time to wait.

We love aloe vera here we use it for every cut/burn and have it in smoothies too

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought 1 yr asparagus crowns and am finally on yr 3 so I can harvest some this year. Spreads really good, I can't imagine having to start by seed though, that is a really long time to wait.

We love aloe vera here we use it for every cut/burn and have it in smoothies too
And the bummer part is having to pull up and disregard the females, the ones that produce red berries that are seeds. They produce thin spears that aren't good for eating. That's why I went ahead and sowed 200 in peat starters for a little over 100 foot row.

spread is something that I couldn't gleen good information about doing my research. So if anyone has some solid info on how much Martha Washington Asparagus spreads it would be very useful and help me know how wide to dig the permanent bed.

Thanks

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And the bummer part is having to pull up and disregard the females, the ones that produce red berries that are seeds. They produce thin spears that aren't good for eating. That's why I went ahead and sowed 200 in peat starters for a little over 100 foot row.

spread is something that I couldn't gleen good information about doing my research. So if anyone has some solid info on how much Martha Washington Asparagus spreads it would be very useful and help me know how wide to dig the permanent bed.
Space...I think it is going to depend on how much you eat and/or want in a season. I wasn't able to find anything specific to spread for the Martha Washington beyond 'it needs lots of space' and it looks like each crown/plant can get rather large

1648135530014.png

I have a 5x2 bed for us, which is more than enough. We eat it but don't want it for every meal. I do pickle it

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Space...I think it is going to depend on how much you eat and/or want in a season. I wasn't able to find anything specific to spread for the Martha Washington beyond 'it needs lots of space' and it looks like each crown/plant can get rather large

View attachment 18528

I have a 5x2 bed for us, which is more than enough. We eat it but don't want it for every meal. I do pickle it
Thanks for that info which is hard to find. Upto 36" diameter ain't so bad I'll plant for a 4' x 112' bed. The long term plan is to set up a self serve/pay road side stand and sell what's fresh from the farmette that day and maybe take orders for folks that want to can. My wife did ok with unwashed eggs last year and that surprised me. We had zero theft.

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for that info which is hard to find. Upto 36" diameter ain't so bad I'll plant for a 4' x 112' bed. The long term plan is to set up a self serve/pay road side stand and sell what's fresh from the farmette that day and maybe take orders for folks that want to can. My wife did ok with unwashed eggs last year and that surprised me. We had zero theft.

that is awesome, I would love to set up a stand here too but I worry about theft especially as the food insecurities get worse.