What did you do in your garden today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been daydreaming about these but they would be an expensive experiment
That is what I thought too, especially because you need male and female plants. I saw you can get 3 (2F and 1 M) from Farmer Seed for like $40 but when I think about it, that is a lot of kiwi from the store :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That is what I thought too, especially because you need male and female plants. I saw you can get 3 (2F and 1 M) from Farmer Seed for like $40 but when I think about it, that is a lot of kiwi from the store :)
Thats a good price! I spend up to $350 on kiwi in a year - thats a good way to think of it.

However, I'm not sure how I would preserve them. I would get them for their high vitamin C content, but heat breaks down vitamin C. I wonder if I would like them chopped and frozen?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats a good price! I spend up to $350 on kiwi in a year - thats a good way to think of it.

However, I'm not sure how I would preserve them. I would get them for their high vitamin C content, but heat breaks down vitamin C. I wonder if I would like them chopped and frozen?
It says they can store in the fridge for up to 4 months. The fruit is very small compared to store bought so you might not have as much extra.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ain't never sowed asparagus seed before. Buts it's just seed right? I've read some outlandish how to's on the internet. Anyways armed with a lot of conflicting information I sowed Martha Washington asparagus seeds in 200 shallow peat pot cells and put them on the top shelf of my seed starting shelf. I'll guess I'll see what is going to happen or not here soon enough. Package say It's only 730 days until maturity 😂.

I could be wrong but I believe I gleened enough conflicting information to:

start seeds indoors, harden off mid to late summer. Set out in a permanent location in a deep tilled area mixed with lots of compost in early fall. They should die off and pop back up late winter / early spring the next year. Don't harvest, let grow to ferns. That fall (second year) pull up all crowns that produce red berries on their ferns and disregard. They are females and don't make good spears since they put a lot of energy into making berries (seeds). The following year (year 3) in late winter/early spring harvest large spears sparingly or not at all to encourage strong root growth. The 4th year late winter/early spring harvest away but leave some spears to fern.

Wow that's a long time... But from what I understand an asparagus patch once established, can be productive for 10 to 20 years. So I reckon I might as well get started sooner rather than later.
View attachment 18526

View attachment 18527

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
I would have direct sowed them in their future home. My asparagus patch keeps replenishing itself from the seeds the plants produce. The seeds fall on the ground and come up on their own without any assistance from me.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 more 3x3 raised bed frames made yesterday and 2 more to be made this weekend. I will have 8 raised beds and 2 in-ground plots. I am going to plan beds this weekend. I was able to turn one of the raised beds I had plastic on! Today is going to be cold, but should be in 40s/50s next week and I hope going forward so I can get some radish and greens in

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
2 more 3x3 raised bed frames made yesterday and 2 more to be made this weekend. I will have 8 raised beds and 2 in-ground plots. I am going to plan beds this weekend. I was able to turn one of the raised beds I had plastic on! Today is going to be cold, but should be in 40s/50s next week and I hope going forward so I can get some radish and greens in
Snow is off my garden. I have a sheet of black roofing rubber. I need to see if it is unfrozen from the ground and drag it over a bad grassy spot in my garden that I hope to reclaim

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:fl:fl

What are you going to reclaim it for? Anything fun going on there
IDK, I plan to fill my garden. But if I can just get that spot clear and keep it hoed I'll be happy. I hope to establish clover living mulch in that area and expand growing area for vines (squash, watermelon, etc)