What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hold up, how do you get one year old strawberry plants? Do you pull them out of the ground and replant or what?

the easiest thing i've done is to get some four inch pots and then as a runner goes along weight it down with a few small rocks until it roots and then let the runner go on to the next pot - then at least i didn't have to uproot anything when i wanted to move them. clip the runner into segments and move the plant to where i wanted it to go and put it in the ground (after taking it out of the pot), water and mulch.

just by chance the other day i posted this pic to my bean page - it is of one of my earliest bean patches that had strawberries planted along the edges and i was rooting a bunch of runners for someone who wanted some.

100_4023_Beans_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yesterday got some of the larger onion sets planted for flowering and making more seeds. i made it easier on myself for a change too by planting them right along the edge so it will be easier to weed them. my previous onion patch i was growing along that edge of the garden i had about a foot inwards from the edge and that meant i had to weed both sides. the creeping thyme along the edge acts as a pretty good weed control. yes, i do still have to weed it but not nearly as much as the bare dirt area on the other side.

i did some spot weeding and marked out some daffodils that i'll want to move this season. a friend of ours was over yesterday afternoon for a visit and she mentioned she'd like some daffodils so she will take some of these to plant at her place. there's probably a thousand that need to come out. only one plant i want to keep from all of those. the rest i have plenty of in other locations. these clumps of daffodils haven't been divided since they were planted about 15 years ago.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got most of my new garden fence up. Behind schedule a bit. But, that’s okay. I have possible little diggers. My friends kids apparently love digging holes so they may come over and help. I was half thinking about borrowing the neighbors dog to speed up the process🤣 I’m excited for the veggies that will come out of this!

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
after any near freezing weather the oxalic acid can move down into the stems too.

i was eating way too much rhubarb sauce at one time and it was making my feet hurt so i backed off quite a bit. i still grow it but only eat it a few times a year. it makes a good border planting
The stems also have oxalic acid in them, just not as highly concentrated as in the leaves.

When I made rhubarb wine, it was a year before the oxalic acid dropped out and it became delicious.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH tilled the big problem area of my garden. Initial weeding is 90% done :weee Now I "just" need to hoe until the quackgrass is gone to maintain.

I have forecasted lows of 24 and 25 degrees F the next two nights so I'm delaying transplanting more. I have 2 rows of onions in the ground, and enough to replant if they dont survive the cold.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH tilled the big problem area of my garden. Initial weeding is 90% done :weee Now I "just" need to hoe until the quackgrass is gone to maintain.

I have forecasted lows of 24 and 25 degrees F the next two nights so I'm delaying transplanting more. I have 2 rows of onions in the ground, and enough to replant if they dont survive the cold.

it may knock them back a little but they'll likely regrow.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Love pics of your gardens - they are beautiful!

that picture was taken back in 2010 so a long time ago now. much has changed for that garden since then, i made it bigger. right now it looks like a dead version of the following but it will perk up soon and get green again:

DSC_20200524_195132-0400_400_Strawberries_Blooming_thm.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay! What variety?
Several bell peppers of various colors...tomatoes maybe 6-8 basic selections. But nice healthy plants that averaged 75 cent each. Today I need to be in an area where I bought plants a couple yrs ago and I'll look to see what they have. A few of my seeds have sprouted but not as successfully as I'd like....so I'll supplement. Procrastination and lack of regular care doesn't make good sprouting. :hide On flip side, the corn I planted is popping up! 😊

Working a job is detrimental to time and desire....I'm looking at priorities. 🤔🙄. Its all about time, weather, needs. Life's a game of musical chairs.

My week was pretty planned. Then poof....rearrange it all.