Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looky at THAT!!! :ep

20220516_102155.jpg

A green yummy thing! GROWING!!!!

I can't find a single trace of my crocus... must have finally died... but yeah... those aren't edible...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rotary tiller here! :celebrate. DS will clean, check, hook up for me. I'll stay home
Wed...use it, transplant these plants. Mulch. Wait for the rain on Thurs! :weee

I'm so excited!!!!! Can you tell??? :lol:. Finally. Now, I can see if these are worth the $$$. At least it's worth it to ME -- a free loaner, all summer. Now I can even till a couple acre patch of old pasture to renovate......weekend job. 😁. I see tractor time in my future!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pulled WEEDS , UGH !!!

yes, plenty of that to do here too this time of the year to get ready for planting.

in most of the fenced gardens the weeds are not bad at all. some grass i need to dig out to make sure i get all the roots, but otherwise the weeds are pretty easy to remove. i need to find out what kind of weeds they are since we do have a lot of them, a small white flower with four petals. i'll try to look it up...

the other thing i do is use the stirrup hoe which is quick at slicing off the weeds before they get very far. i can do quite a large area in a few hours if there aren't too many other things in the way. i'm always looking at ways to make things more simple to manage.

the hardest job i'll have of weeding here in the next few weeks is getting some horsetail out of a garden and fighting off some deeper rooted grass (i think it's quackgrass), which i haven't smothered.

today's weather is looking perfect for about three hours of weeding. that's about all my body can do right now. next week it will get bumped up to four hours. weather tomorrow is looking like more rain but that will be ok since i have other things i can do in the afternoon.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That has got to be a satisfying feeling for a graft to take like that 👍

If you don't mind me asking... Where did you purchase scionwood from? I also assume that's stone fruit root stock, although I can't see the tag, which kind is it?. I want to learn grafting, so I've been studying. Can you also share the type of graft you used please? T Bark graft?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
It was very exciting to see it growing! Since my post the deer have attacked and chomped a lot of the leaves from the rootstock and scion, but both are coming back. I planted it out in the orchard with a hoop around it so it should be safer now. I haven't checked the two loquat grafts in a while but I think this cherry graft is the only one out of the 5 grafts that took. All the others have the root stock still growing and healthy, so I will try again later.

I used a t bark graft, I think. I don't know the names well. I gently cut the root stock with a horizontal line, then a vertical line down from the center of the horizontal line. Then I gently peeled back the bark enough so I could wedge the scion in there. The scion had a fresh cut made at an angle so the end result trunk should be mostly straight once the root stock is cut off above the graft later this fall. I bound the scion tightly to the rootstock holding the bark flaps closed over the scion, using cotton twine. Then I wrapped the grafted area and the entire length of scion with grafting tape.

I bought the scion this winter and the root stock last winter from the same place, Fruitwood Nursery. It's here on the west coast and the scions/cuttings I ordered arrived quickly. My goal was to get the root stock growing well and big, then graft. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the root stock into the ground yet, they are still in their pots, and most appear to be growing down through their pots.. It's going to be a challenge to move them without damaging them.

I am not 100% sure which root stock this graft is on, I need to do some process of elimination as most of the tags are very hard to read. I bought root stock for cherry, peach, and plum, among others. I am hoping I put the cherry scion onto the cherry root stock. I bought some metal tags to upgrade all the plant tags, it's on the to do list.
Screenshot_20220517-122112.png