What did you do in your garden today?

HoneyBee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Pulled weeds yesterday. Lots and lots of weeds. It seems particularly weedy this year, and I found a datura growing by the tomato plants. :eek: I have no idea how that sprung up, but I got that out and away right quick.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is because you are from Michigan,lol I am not,lol I love winter.

i love winter too. lived in the UP for 15 years. lived in the LP for most of the rest of my life. i was ok with the heat as far south as the mountains of eastern TN, but that was about it. i considered going over the hills to Asheville, NC but while i did like the area and stayed there for several weeks i ended up in TN instead for a few years.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of the two spots where they were growing. Cows eat the tops off a few. I'm sure it was my Brangus steer, Brisket. That boy will eat just about anything that green, including sassafras and cherry seedlings that I was going to transplant this fall. I watched him do it.

View attachment 19282

Ha! These are not on the fence row, no cow can get to them. But 2 sassafras saplings decided to take root in with the garlic. I'm leaving the sassafras right we're it rooted.
View attachment 19283

Here how the cloves are in the bulb wrapper.
View attachment 19284

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

i don't see any small bulbs forming on the roots. so now not sure. :) it's ok. next year when one blooms get a picture. while the decoratives have a range of colors from white to purple to even maroon colors it is likely that a purple bloom is a decorative allium. if you're able to eat it and not have any side-effects then i'd not worry, but the references i see say that the decoratives can be mildly toxic to some.

for a better tunic on the bulb you can lift them earlier if you want to keep them in storage. if the tunic is still rather thin when lifting them earlier that might also be a sign of a decorative as a cultivated onion for eating would have a preference from any grower for having a good tunic.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
almost ready to finish planting the last bean garden. four hours of work done, resting a few more minutes before i go back out and get it planted and then watered in. i didn't think i could get it done today after how yesterday went, but it turned out ok. starting an hour earlier today did help, plus it is a bit cooler. :)

time to grab the beans and get to it though or i may not finish.

one way to drop extra lbs. get up early, go out and garden for 4hrs on a hot and humid day. drink plenty of water, but it sure does kill the appetite otherwise. i'm not hungry at all right now and i haven't even had breakfast yet.

i think i hit my short term goal too of 170 lbs. not stuffing the pie hole quite so much, eating more veggies, plenty of exercise. 15 more lbs to go by the end of summer if i can do it. even 10 lbs more would be good enough. but we'll see ... :)

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Came back from the thieves (gas station) and ask for 30 bucks. Figured if anything, I will put the remaining on the truck. But nooooo, it was about 5 gal and spit no more. Not a drop for my truck. Then police everywhere making a jam on the corner all because of the darn drug festival in Rothbury. I fled drugs all my life, left Muskegon because they sell drugs in every square now, and here it is following me. :mad:
So finished the whole acre and tried to cut some limbs but needed more extensions, so took it as a sign to stop for the day. Will need more twine for the peppers but I think I will use weird color yarns and crochet a thick rope and use that. 🤔
I didn't know beans can still be planted. Haven't done a thing with the black ones I have, not even on cotton balls,lol

@flowerbug when I get hot, I get hungry,lol I can use the weight loss too but if it is not one thing, is another. Love doing drumfit but hurt my shoulder and stopped. That gained me 10lbs. Then went to zumba but somehow hurt my knee. So lost 13 and up 6 so far. I need to loose about 50 and should be fine health wise. If it was like going to sleep, I would loose about 100,lol would love to be back at 99 as always. At least I am not in the 200 mark,lol I am rather tall and if I did nobody will notice but 189 is too much for me. I am at 183 now and keep dreaming it is coming off,lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was thinking I might go work in the garden, nah... Nap sounds good though. 😴
Screenshot_20220622-162948.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't know beans can still be planted. Haven't done a thing with the black ones I have, not even on cotton balls,lol

some varieties will bear within 40-60 days for fresh pod eating. i have some i planted in pots May 27th that just started flowering and some of the companion plants are also starting to flower and they were planted a week or so later. dry beans take longer of course, but you can still get some dry bean varieties to give some return 55-80 days is short season, anything that finishes after September 15th i consider a longer season bean which may not finish in time before the frosts arrive.