What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In the past for herbs I just pulled the plant and hung it upside down in a breezy dry location. I wouldn't do that this year though not with all the humidity we've have. I agree with @Hinotori try the dehydrator, it's probably much better than air drying.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just use a little round Presto for herb drying. Nothing takes very long. I stem most afterward, but catnip I pick the leaves off first and just dry them. My catnip gets huge. Up to 6 feet tall. Entirely covers sides of the chicken pen. Huge leaves. My cats don't care for it dry, but my great aunts cat loves it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i didn't get back out to the gardens yesterday afternoon (too hot and humid) but i did get a chance to go through the worm buckets and get them fed and watered, except one bucket i have to take out this morning to finish up - i don't want to take the lid off without it being outside because i saw some moths in there flying around and i don't want to let them out in the house.

when restarting the worm buckets after the spring planting i use dirt and humus from the gardens to start them back up again and it may take a few months for them to settle down again. i have some small spiders which will catch the smaller bugs but these spiders can't cope with the bigger bugs that mght still be in there. last time i went through and fed them there were three buckets i took outside. so now it is down to one bucket. i don't expect i'll have to do this again after today.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always found it enjoyable to watch the graden being picked by someone else besides me.
IMG_20220731_131340776~2.jpg

My wife likes her row of sunflowers. I didn't even thin out the row. Just seeded a trench and backfilled. Ofcourse the squash have found them, starting to climb and are setting butternuts on them, opps 🙄 Honey bees have been enjoying the sun flowers and the pollinators needed section of the garden, so I guess it's good to have them together. Squash just grew more than expected this year. It doesn't always happen that way.
IMG_20220730_153945114~2.jpg

I didn't grow any cucumbers but here they are. Where did they come from? Probably from a neighbor repaying me for sneaking some cabbage on to their porch. I will repay... I ain't done just yet.
IMG_20220803_001450318.jpg

I overheard my wife saying something about zoodles (sp?): zucchini noodles. I'm burnt out on zucchini and summer squash. But she makes delicious zucchini bread. Maybe these zoodles might be ok?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I've always found it enjoyable to watch the graden being picked by someone else besides me.
View attachment 19775

My wife likes her row of sunflowers. I didn't even thin out the row. Just seeded a trench and backfilled. Ofcourse the squash have found them, starting to climb and are setting butternuts on them, opps 🙄 Honey bees have been enjoying the sun flowers and the pollinators needed section of the garden, so I guess it's good to have them together. Squash just grew more than expected this year. It doesn't always happen that way.
View attachment 19776

I didn't grow any cucumbers but here they are. Where did they come from? Probably from a neighbor repaying me for sneaking some cabbage on to their porch. I will repay... I ain't done just yet.
View attachment 19777

I overheard my wife saying something about zoodles (sp?): zucchini noodles. I'm burnt out on zucchini and summer squash. But she makes delicious zucchini bread. Maybe these zoodles might be ok?

Those need pickled in a sweet brine

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to be back home after a long drive. Raining so will get these peppers tomorrow after the morning appointment. Good thing is just an hour away,lol
Yesterday worked very hard all day under the freaking sun but the grass is done. Began at 815am and stopped at 7pm. Not enough boxes so tarp it is for now. One area has 6mil plastic that I used for the outside of the chicken run in the winter.
20220802_173056.jpg