What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's very humid and supposed to rain the next several days. So I went ahead and pulled the remaining thick neck onions. Most of them the roots had already dried up and I just needed to touch them and they fell over, that's when I know there ready to pull. My estimate was close. Thin necks were about a 3rd as much as the thick necks.

I braided 11 braids of yellow and set the whites on the freezer to braid later. I lost 2 white onions. it's pretty nasty to pull a onion that turns out to be mush. Those two I planted too deep, that's why they turned to onion mush.

Happy with this year's onion harvests. Sweet spanish are good flavored onions for us in the intermittent and long day zones ๐Ÿ‘ thin necks for immediate use, thick neck for storage. Use the thin necks first because they don't store well.
IMG_20220803_213611999.jpg

With the beets, cabbage and onions gone I got 6 rows open for Brussel Sprouts and Fall Cabbages \o/ but more like 5 rows because the tomatoes took over a row of cabbages ๐Ÿ™„

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FJ life getting in the way? What is life? ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿคฃ
Just back from GR after hub had x-rays. An hour drive for a 10min appointment. Oh, then I guess that is life ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Still tired from yesterday's drive to the East. I will take pictures of the tiny peppers,lol they are red for sure.

CC those are big onions. How do I know when they are ready? They are showing on the outside but the top is still green and standing.
So, can I seed some pumpkin and cabbage now?
Sorry, I am so sorry I have no clue of what I am doing here, ๐Ÿ˜…

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It just dawned on me I haven't been to the garden since Sunday. Work and life got in the way. Oops. Monster zukes will be waiting tonight.
Storms predicted this afternoon, so I ran to garden at lunch. Over a dozen zucchini picked (just four plants). About a quart of beans, a dozen cherry tomatoes

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just back from GR after hub had x-rays. An hour drive for a 10min appointment. Oh, then I guess that is life ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Still tired from yesterday's drive to the East. I will take pictures of the tiny peppers,lol they are red for sure.

CC those are big onions. How do I know when they are ready? They are showing on the outside but the top is still green and standing.
When the tops fall over it's time to uncover the bulbs if you mulched them in. Then wait until the green leaves start to dry out. Usually a couple weeks. I've generally have had two harvests. The first being thin necks that tops fall over first. Then several weeks later the thick necks begin to fall over. It's important to not bury the bulbs anymore than 1/4" when transplanting live plants. The bulbs need air throughout their growth to avoid rot.

For green (bunching) onions, it's not so important because they get pulled for immediate use, when the bulbs are pencil to sharpie sized anyways.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No doubt, it was the right decision to pull the remaining thick neck onions yesterday evening. Rain was coming down in buckets a little while ago. Most definitely a toad chocker. And sure to cause bulb rot.
Screenshot_20220804-112233~2.png

I braided and hung 12 braids of white sweet spanish.
IMG_20220804_115306700~2.jpg

Small ones I didn't bother braiding. We can use these first for cooking.
IMG_20220804_115359716.jpg

I would have preferred to dry them in the barn, but it's been so humid. I think it's better to hang them in the air conditioning, with the fan on constant. At least until the humidity subsides anyways

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's a sweet potato vine with roots. I'm thinking this is how slips are made. Every node is a potential sweet potato slip or properly termed a sweet potato snip. Snip the node off and plant in due time harvest sweet potatoes ๐Ÿ˜‹ if I had a green house I would try it. Snip off each node and plant it to see what would happen.
Screenshot_20220804-210535~2.png

And with all the rain we had today the garden is now a mud bog. I might just have to name the garden little muddy.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Some really good instructions here.
IMG_20220805_001245159~3.jpg

Follow that up with https://dixondalefarms.com/onionfertilization/ and you'll be off and running. I should have fertilized 6 times but was only able to twice. Once during slow growth and once during rapid growth.