What did you do in your garden today?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our local co-op gets onion plants in early in the spring... bundles of 50 I think...(maybe 100?); like about $5-6.00 a bundle... It is not worth the seed growing for me and definitely cheaper than buying the little "sets" of bulbs... I got a bundle of white, yellow, and red... the yellows and reds have done better than the whites, but they are planted on the side of the garden that has not done very good... easier to plant in my opinion than the "sets"....

Deer eating the tomatoes now... Next year there will be a fence totally around it.....and there will be venison in the freezer this winter... one way or another. LOTS of VENISON in the freezer.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our local co-op gets onion plants in early in the spring... bundles of 50 I think...(maybe 100?); like about $5-6.00 a bundle... It is not worth the seed growing for me and definitely cheaper than buying the little "sets" of bulbs... I got a bundle of white, yellow, and red... the yellows and reds have done better than the whites, but they are planted on the side of the garden that has not done very good... easier to plant in my opinion than the "sets"....

Deer eating the tomatoes now... Next year there will be a fence totally around it.....and there will be venison in the freezer this winter... one way or another. LOTS of VENISON in the freezer.
I wanted to add to the onion ring recipe. Do a double breading. First dry, then into the egg wash then again into the breading. I fried some up in lard earlier this week, the batter was a little thin. I don't prefer crunchy rings (bread crumbs), so it's a matter of tweaking the recipe at this point. Still really good single battered, but I think it would be even better double battered.

For me store bought bundles of onion plants do better than sets. But the leaves and roots are trimmed and the plants are pretty dry. It takes them a few weeks to come back and start growing. Plus I've had a problem with thips in the past. The trimmed leaves are open invitation (tunnel) for thips to crawl down and start destroying the bulb. That's why I start my own from seed during winter and I don't trim them anymore.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan they are multiplying like crazy.

Two little spotted fawns.
IMG_20220805_113455876~2.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you CC. Will look into that tomorrow since, I decided I will barely do a thing,lol
I do have to buy feed for the itty-bitty peeps and dual for girls and quackies.
However, I watered today almost all morning. Not the plants but the cardboards,lol Don't want them to fly away,lol.
20220805_122550.jpg20220805_122555.jpg
I remember asking if the 6mil plastic that I use in the winter to cover my chicken's run would be good to lay to avoid grass growth. Well, had a very long piece that was not folded right and opened and laid it to get it dried and folded. It kind of dried the grass,so it works,lol.
20220805_103742.jpg20220805_103754.jpg
Ended up laying it on the north side of the garden. Then took some tires that hub keeps I guess to throw me at the bottom of the lake, but them on top of the plastic.
20220805_103813.jpg20220805_122540.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
picked tomato worms again this morning. found 10 of them, but the good news is that i could find most of them after a few minutes of sleuthing around looking for fresh droppings on the leaves and ground and then looking up through the plants until i could find it. they're very well hidden by their shape and color pattern, but once you get your eyes trained it becomes easier. of the 10 i found 1 larger adult, 8 medium sized ones and 1 very tiny one (about an inch long) and oh boy was it cute! hard to imagine me calling such a pest cute but it sure was (and then i cut it in half like the rest of them).

i take the clippers with me out there so that i can clip off damaged branches so that the next time i go out i can survery and see where new damage is happening and hope to get them all found again. not sure how many more are out there. i think this year because i got out and found the medium worms before they got closer to the end stage i might have prevented a lot more damage because last year i remember they were really mowing down the plants. we'll see how things look tomorrow morning...

the nicest thing was that it was actually cool enough out this morning that i wasn't feeling like just coming right back inside as soon as i stepped out of the house. the rains and cool front really helped. alos helped sprout a billion weed seeds but i can scrape those quickly enough where they are happening the most because that garden has been kept bare on purpose this season specifically so i could do this sort of scraping (it will take all of 20 minutes to do 400 square feet). it has been getting too far out of control the past years and so it was time to take it back a few notches. i'll do that tomorrow not that it will be cool enough in the morning for me to do that for a few hours.

the afternoons are going to return to being pretty hot this weekend so i can retire to the AC for the day after a few hours of morning chores. bean plants and tomatoes are smothering most gardens and not much is sprouting in those now for me to weed.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not a single thing. Didn't even look at it. But tomorrow looks like it's the right day to set out Brussels sprouts and cabbage transplants. Give them a start in overcast skies and rain. Later in the week looks like it'll be a good time to graft some apple trees, while everything is good and hydrated.
Screenshot_20220806-213431~2.png

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morning! Happy Sunday!

Was reading back and on the onion information from @CrealCritter . Honestly I understood barely anything because of the formulas, lol but went outside to read the onions tag and it says Spanish Sweet Onions and to plant every 2-3 inches away. So I did and "went to town" with it,lol Noticed and realized that there is barely space between them to allow for growth. Another note taken just like with the tomatoes.
20220806_191931.jpg
NOTE*** Leave double the recommended space,lol

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morning! Happy Sunday!

Was reading back and on the onion information from @CrealCritter . Honestly I understood barely anything because of the formulas, lol but went outside to read the onions tag and it says Spanish Sweet Onions and to plant every 2-3 inches away. So I did and "went to town" with it,lol Noticed and realized that there is barely space between them to allow for growth. Another note taken just like with the tomatoes.
View attachment 19844
NOTE*** Leave double the recommended space,lol
We always picked every other one as a green onion as they grew leaving more room for the bigger ones to keep growing.

Latest posts