What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ditto, plus it looks like you may need a few 55 gallon drums instead...

Biggest cabbage I ever grew. Pawpaw can I play with your cabbage patch baby? Sure go right ahead 🤣
IMG_20221115_151319323~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord.and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife made me look, by saying you might want to get those cabbages out of the garden. So I guess Friday is harvesting day.
Screenshot_20221116-200546.png

I'm gonna take my battery operated sawsall with a long wood cutting blade to harvest cabbage, instead of a knife. It looks like it's gonna be brisk Friday during the day, sawsall will be quicker and safer.

I was reading up on brussels sprouts, they say they are good into the single digits. Which is good, they need a couple more weeks of growth before starting to harvest.

Ain't fall gardens so much fun?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked 18 cabbages with the sawsall and a long limb cutting blade. This turned out to be one of my better ideas. I only cut the heads that were firm and peeled off leaves from the head until I seen white.
IMG_20221118_140938369~3.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be starting sauerkraut. I need 70 lbs of cored and shredded cabbage to make two 5 gallon buckets full. I hope I have enough.

Cattle like cabbage leaves 👍

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife pulled the last of spinach and red romaine lettuce. She'll snip off the roots and wash them dry and bag them. There's enough for a couple of meals anyways. Better to get it up before low of 18 forecast overnight. In hindsight I probably should have sowed, several weeks earlier.
IMG_20221118_150756860~2.jpg

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put the mini steer oxen/feeder in the garden. There is still a little grass and he can fertilize. Plus it makes carrying water a shorter trip.
I need to pickup a couple new 5 gallon food grade buckets and gamma seal screw on lids to make sauerkraut.

Would you all like a quick picture tutorial of how I make sauerkraut?

👍 = Yes
:( = No

:( Sauerkraut in general. Love the cole slaw though.
Cut some, cover the rest for the 2-3 really cold nights and get you through for another week or 2 at least with warmer temps.
Good advice. You can stretch the fall garden a lot this way. Most of those plants like spinach etc... do better with a freeze. Just cover on the few really cold days. It just doesn't work with a week of teens.
I didn't do a fall garden like I should have. Couldn't find seeds. I wanted to at least do snap peas for some nitrogen. I should've ordered online when I found out I was going home. Radishes, turnips, mustard do well for your soil next year even if you don't get a harvest. Did a rapid soil test. 0-1 out of 5 on everything. If my pasture is the same I need A LOT more fertilizer.
The 2.5 gal jugs I can get went up $30 since July. 60 to 90 that's 30% in 4-5 months. Let's go B nevermind.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I recalled I did a how I make sauerkraut once before. Nothing changed from today's kraut making, other than we used the kitchenaid instead of food processor.

My wife and I made 5 gallons and decided that was enough for both of us for a year or two. I said I guess that means we are done with cabbage now, she said yay 😂 We gave the remaining heads of cabbage to my daughter in law and our neighbor.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is why I like to use 5 gallon food grade buckets and gamma seal lids for making sauerkraut. A 1/2 pint canning jar fits snug in the center of the lid. Works great when you use an upside down dinner plate to hold the cabbage under the brine while it ferments.
IMG_20221120_162628407.jpg

Menards carries both the food grade 5 gallon buckets plus the gamma seal lids.
IMG_20221117_200734011.jpg

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@tortoise I think I remember you talkng about saffron crocus bulbs, did you every plant any in your garden this fall? I am trying to figure out when to buy them, if I can get them now and just freeze them until I am ready to use or if I should wait. Wondering how they did in our area?

Last edited: