What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i can't remember exactly the conditions the saffron crocuses need but i think i determined it it gets a bit too wet here at the wrong time for them to do well.

i was able to get outside today for some gardening in the frozen clay, which makes it very slippery and muddy. a few hours of that and i was ready to call it quits. we have other warm days this week so perhaps i can finish up a few more gardens before winter. any bit i can get done now makes spring easier.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I pulled carrots today! My plastic tunnels worked. I have never been able to have anything after mid Oct.

Attachments

• 20221123_131828.jpg
    20221123_131828.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 44

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our peas didn't survive 17 degrees. They turned white, time to till them under. And resow around valentines day or there abouts. However, my wife picked lettuce and blanched and froze spinach, so that's a plus. I'll till the garden soon, so I can wade out in the mud and develop lead boots, come early spring. 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First skimming there is no scum, which I like to see. I believe this batch will turn out well, it's already starting to taste like sauerkraut but needs more time because it's still salty.

Brine is changing color from green and just small bits of cabbage floating on top of the brine to skim 👍 I learned to keep anything metal out of the kraut. Skim with food grade plastic slotted spoon or food safe wooden utensil. Metal plus salt water does not mix well.
IMG_20221123_230628487.jpg

I had to pull a little brine off the top because the brine increased in volume slightly. I found this to be normal, as the salt pulls the water out of the shredded cabbage, the brine volume increases slightly. I poured the brine down the drain.
IMG_20221123_231058636.jpg

So far so good, the green bits of cabbage are turning white naturally. Yes I eat it all and I'm still alive.
IMG_20221123_231350622.jpg

The sauerkraut still has to ferment more but it's coming along quicker than normal. It's probably the cabbage variety and it being an old german kraut variety of cabbage.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like kraut...especially with a good fried sausage, or on a Reuben. 😁. Might make some next yr....but about a 3gal batch. Its really good for you, too.

@Trying2keepitReal those carrots look really good! Nice length and straight...were they in a raised bed? The plastic tunnels were worth the effort. 👍

My garden has been being used by some goats. Not much in there to forage but they get their hay in there, waste some to mulch, trample what's there...add fertilizer, etc. I want to do a surface till in the next month, cut it in and start piling barn clean outs in there for spring.