What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My brain,, 🙃 :he I just took a bowel down to the compost yesterday of shells,,, I SHOULD have set them in my extra egg cartons and used them for my seed,, 💩

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/eggshells-natures-perfect-seed-starters-18253

eggshells-seedlings_as183445414-950x523.jpeg

OK, shoot, no I dont want to go down and get them out, so, I have time,,, I can save the rest of this weeks shells and put soil and seed in them as I get them.
Are these 🍅 or 🌶?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am almost done with crocheting for the season. Already moving stuff out of living room to place tables for seed starting.
Watch it or you'll wind up with 2 foot long tomato "seedlings" with just a few leaves on the end. That you'll have to plant in a trench like I did last year 😁

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
these are all direct seeded except the Mullen and hyssop,,, I normally only start squash and peppers in doors and direct seed everything else, but I am doing a few more this year

image_67235073.JPG

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all of the herbs did great through the snow we had,
I pre-plowed in nov, just leaving the peas that reseeded, arugula, parsleys, med. herbs, kale for the chickens,

A few weeks ago I spread out my piles of chicken poop , need about 6 more buckets
but everything looks great, I'll set my rows later after lunch. My neighbor has a saw mill, I use his chips/shavings on the walk ways between rows.

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Determinate And Indeterminate Potatoes​

Determinate potatoes are varieties with tubers that grow in just one layer. For this reason, the plants do not require mounding of the soil around them. They produce early, in about 70 to 90 day
When picking a determinate potato to grow, the most popular types are:

• Caribe
  • Norland
  • Russet Norkotah
  • Red Norland
  • Ratte Potatoes
  • Chieftain
  • Yukon Gold
  • Sierra Rose
  • Sierra Gold
  • Gold Rush
  • Adirondack Blue
  • Adirondack Red
https://www.gardeningdream.com/ulti...eties/#List_of_Determinate_Potatoes_Varieties

Indeterminate Potatoes Varieties

needs hilling
  • Russet Burbank
  • Ranger Russet
  • Alturas
  • Century Russet
  • Russet Nugget
  • German Butterball
  • Strawberry Paw
  • Green Mountain
  • Canela Russet
  • Bintje
  • Red Pontiac
  • Maris Piper
  • Lehigh
  • German Butterball
  • Red Maria
  • Butte
  • Elba
  • Red Cloud
  • Katahdin
  • Desiree

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Heirlooms are described as an open pollinated variety that has been around for 50 years or longer. Tango is open pollinated and the seed can be saved but it is not an heirloom.
as Territorial Seed just said to me,,

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Heirlooms are described as an open pollinated variety that has been around for 50 years or longer. Tango is open pollinated and the seed can be saved but it is not an heirloom.
as Territorial Seed just said to me,,

It's like silkie chickens are one of the oldest breeds and appeared in the first APA standard, but they are not a heritage breed because they can't be left to free range. Ameraucana fit all the categories except they were developed in the 70s so not old enough to be heritage.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got all my plant markers organized, these are all from the herbs I planted last year

Then I got seed for all of the squash’s, peppers, tomatoes, kale and Mullen in pots

I’ll see what more I can do tomorrow

Last edited:

Latest posts