What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You guys are planting seeds already while it's been snowing all day here? Not fair,lol No plowing yet. Tomorrow will deliver some quackies to someone. 12 is too much for me. Once the snow goes away, I might bring the big gas plow I got last year to put a little mud in it 😆
The t or u post are still expensive. Might get a few 12ft 2x4 's and cut in half depending on their price. I already got the new wire fencing for the garden. Oh, it's like starting from scratch again!

Need to order that planner too. I wonder if it is by zone? I am in zone 6a but who really knows,lol all I know is my zip code 🤔

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You guys are planting seeds already while it's been snowing all day here? Not fair,lol No plowing yet. Tomorrow will deliver some quackies to someone. 12 is too much for me. Once the snow goes away, I might bring the big gas plow I got last year to put a little mud in it 😆
The t or u post are still expensive. Might get a few 12ft 2x4 's and cut in half depending on their price. I already got the new wire fencing for the garden. Oh, it's like starting from scratch again!

Need to order that planner too. I wonder if it is by zone? I am in zone 6a but who really knows,lol all I know is my zip code 🤔

My garden was , starting over, last February. It took me 2 week to, by hand dig up all of grass,, then haul a dump truck load, one wheelbarrow at a time , filled with garden soil up to the bed area from the lower driveway. It was very hard but I did it.

I have a turning fork for the tough spots that had rocks,
I use this plow, https://cottagecraftworks.com/easy-hand-push-garden-cultivator
easy-hand-push-graden-cultivator.jpg

And I bought a broad fork off amazon Bully Tools 92627 Broadfork with Fiberglass Handles
61lurK1Ri1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It takes work but its worth it

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i won't be planting much of anything until Apr-May. there's no room here for starting seeds or having trays or pots of things going. just a few house plants. which reminds me that i should take some amaryllis plants to the seed swap so i can rehome them. :)

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finished making a pond on my property, I have started planting around the edge and putting some water weed in to spread. I will get fish for the pond when it has cleared a bit, sadly the only fresh water fish we can buy for outdoor ponds are goldfish....(boring). Native fresh water eels will find their way to the pond.

You guys on the other side of the world are spoilt for choice with your fresh water species.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I finished making a pond on my property, I have started planting around the edge and putting some water weed in to spread. I will get fish for the pond when it has cleared a bit, sadly the only fresh water fish we can buy for outdoor ponds are goldfish....(boring). Native fresh water eels will find their way to the pond.

You guys on the other side of the world are spoilt for choice with your fresh water species.

I dont know how it works there but if one puts in a pond, your land gets declared a wet land and then you cant do anything on your property cuz its a protected wet land,,,, even though you made the pond

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There have been cases here where the Government has tried to declare farm land a wetland which can't be touched/developed etc, one such case recently was thrown out of court and the local council had to reimburse the landowner court costs (very rare that happens).
My pond is only small so it would not be an issue. If you can prove you have made the pond and it wasn't naturally occuring it would be fine, draining an existing wetland area by putting in ditches would land you in some serious trouble potentially jail time.
Image 28-01-23 at 4.02 AM.jpeg

Latest posts