What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I actually did can some last year, lol. They worked well!

thank you for that information as we don't can beans here so i would not have a chance to learn that. dilly beans was about as far as i went with canning beans recently. we don't have a pressure canner so i refuse to do low acid canning. Mom used to oven can even low acid items but the amount of time things took in the oven was wild. i have no desire to put things in the oven for that much time. to me they'd be too mushy...

as for the color change from cooking, yes, they do turn green when cooked, but also the purple color goes into the cooking water at first and then may change as you add other ingredients. like you can use it as a pH indicator as it will turn pink/red with acidic items and gray/blue if the things are alkaline.

that means if you want your dry beans to look pink instead of gray wait until they are cooked and then put just a bit of acid in them (a little lemon juice works) and they will pink up. since we often cook the beans and then add them to soups with tomatoes that's not anything we worry about.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm trying to resolve this. I need a jolt with a cattle prod! :duc

as Mom often says, "That's a new one for your resume!", but i think i'd have to pass... :)

today it has been mostly me watching it rain, listening to the birdies (heard a Blue Heron this morning) and watching the snow fall and then melt in between working on my projects.

started out the day with making sure Mom's sewing machine was not broken. i'd used it yesterday to try to repair a blanket i frequently use which was showing some wear, but in spots it was too thick and the needle broke and it was also plugging up the little hole, so ...

got it all back to working and away she went. :)

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not today but, I've planted some beans and peas the other week at home. I worked up some other ground that needs some seeds right about now or when I take another long weekend. I need to re do some of the camper goodies I've been wanting to do. Spinach and some other herbs that will withstand small pots.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cried.... :hit

Transplanted tomatoes into a new raised bed the other day - went out to check on them this morning and at least half of 'em are gone. Just gone. Something stole (ate - grrrrr) my tomato plants. And that's why I planted a bunch more in pots on the other side of the house. Maybe I need to buy some camouflage pots.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
70's in February and 20 in March. I planted an acre of buckwheat for soil amendment/bee food/honey. 2 freezes after it germinated, I will be replanting again once I get home again. I fill ya FEM. I may have to have someone pick up the seed for me though. Hard to get much done in business hours and on the weekends when it's a 7 hour drive to and from work.