What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chipmunks will go for peanut butter with raisins stuck on the bait holder - i've also just trapped them by leaving the traps in places where they run through and no bait at all.

for severe infestations we've used buckets with ramps. fill the bucket with some water and then put enough sunflower seeds to float on the water and then a few up the ramp. they'll go up the ramp and then jump in. it costs for the sunflower seeds but it does work. another spinner design is a round tube that can spin and then put a bigger spot in the middle with some peanut butter on it so they go for the peanut butter along the tube and then fall in reaching for the peanut butter. i've not built one of these yet, but i think i'll give it a try eventually when i get fed up enough.

look up things on youtube to try. i learned a lot about mouse and rat trapping by watching vids and observing behavior of the creatures i'd never have seen otherwise. knowing what you're dealing with is a big part of solving the issue.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Probably chipmunks and they will eat whatever they darned well please... Pain in the "you know what..." Trap 'em and dispose of... do not turn lose anywhere...

it's sad to me to have to trap any creature but when i do i never throw it away. i consider it fertilizer which i desperately need here and bury it in a garden near where i capture it. since i figure it has been eating plants/seeds/etc in that area it has been harvesting nutrients and i don't want to lose those ever if i can help it. i do say thank you to nature for providing, i do say i'm sorry to have to do this to protect some kind of harvest. i also do allow some damage to happen and accept that as part of the gardening overall. it's not like i can ever eradicate them all as they are very much like mice in that they will repopulate if there is any kind of food around.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I meant the disposing as in kill and then bury..... as opposed to those that feel sorry for them and go turn them loose somewhere...and the animal will go on and either die from relocation to an area they may be invading another's territory and be killed, or starve from not knowing the area to hunt for their food... but mostly to unleash a problem on someone else that is totally unfair and unwise to do. I get so tired of people that go the whole "oh that poor thing"... and go turn it loose a mile or 2 down the road and then set a problem out for the next person.
Accepting a little damage is one thing... aloowing them to mow off the whole crop of green beans, squash and even the marigolds and sunflowers like last year is NOT ACCEPTABLE.....

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I knew what was meant. I just have to figure out a trap. Those things are smart. Unless the start playing music and singing, Alvin and his chipmunks will be history once I get them.

I don't have a big family nor much of the garden is for me but I do give to people that I know will appreciate the fresh food. I am to work the land as part of one of my designs and I dislike killing any animal except roaches, those they should had never been created,lol However, it is how it works. I have a long stick with a super sharp blade at the end. No problem dividing any snake,lol

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
9 lb. cabbage
20230627_154100.jpg

Latest posts