What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
#1 I pulled the old corn stalks. However, the land behind me they only cut it low. Do they seed or the stalks come back? Please tell me they re-seed or I will feel so stupid, o_O

most farmers these days are using modified varieties of corn that have tolerance for herbicides used to control weeds, so they will be replanting from seed purchased instead of letting random corn kernels grow.

the other issue will be that most corn grown now doesn't easily drop enough corn to regrow very easily so even if some of it may restart it isn't too likely to happen.

and then the third thing that i also likely to happen is that the farmer may plant soybeans instead if they are doing crop rotations.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
most farmers these days are using modified varieties of corn that have tolerance for herbicides used to control weeds, so they will be replanting from seed purchased instead of letting random corn kernels grow.

the other issue will be that most corn grown now doesn't easily drop enough corn to regrow very easily so even if some of it may restart it isn't too likely to happen.

and then the third thing that i also likely to happen is that the farmer may plant soybeans instead if they are doing crop rotations.
Sound fair. But they are definitely not rotating. Then again, that corn does not seem right and no collecting either. Maybe is used for ethanol? That thing in ⛽️? They get very dark. I would try to eat one,lol never seen any machine putting pesticides or anything. It's just weird.
I need to find my notebook from last year, so I can know when to star my seeds if I find those also. I need an assistant,lol

Not trying any of my pumpkin seeds. Seems like not enough time in the season in my area. Or maybe try it earlier than last year. I am also thinking of making a covering for the herbs. Sun makes it balt too soon. Same for the lettuces.

I did found last year onions seed and they were empty inside. I think they ghosted, lol

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Corn has to be planted every year. The seed grows the stalk, the corn stalk makes the ear, the corn kernels in the ear are allowed to mature to hard/dry kernels and that is what grows a new corn stalk. If they make silage the whole plant is cut off above the ground and chopped up and stored in a silo or a silage bag when it is partially dry so it will ferment into silage...... If the corn is grown for seed, or say for adding to feed like in chicken feed, the ears are harvested, or they are run through the combine and the seed is removed from the cob.... and then the stalks are often baled off the ground and used for bedding or even some are chopped for feeding so the cows get good roughage...
Some ears will fall when it is being harvested for dry corn for feeding and seed... and will grow the next year... most corn that is grown is hybrid and specifically grown to produce ears that they have "engineered" to be certain types.... there is not alot of open pollinated corn grown anymore... but the kernels will grow when they fall to the ground and get worked into the ground even if only from the machinery running over top of it some.
Most corn ground is planted in specifically measured rows, for optimal growth and pollination, and so that when it comes time the chopper or combine can go down the rows and the stalks will feed into the V-shaped cutters on the machine... and not run over and crush the plants and waste the plant and ear. It costs over $250-350 PER 50 lb bag of seed corn to plant so the farmer does not want any extra planted and does not want any missed spots in the rows either...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did this first cut. Over it a few times, prob 8" deep. Will let it sit a day or two, then another hit to smooth out. It's still very moist & rains sometimes Wed to Fri ?? Whenever 🤷 composted manure tilled in, hope the light growth dies well -- not deep rooted & chopped well. Good dirt, enough sand to keep fluffed.

Good girl😁 such a nice feel to get it working.

IMG_20240407_135044445_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240407_135041653_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240407_135305392_HDR.jpg
ATTACH]
IMG_20240407_135036738_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did this first cut. Over it a few times, prob 8" deep. Will let it sit a day or two, then another hit to smooth out. It's still very moist & rains sometimes Wed to Fri ?? Whenever 🤷 composted manure tilled in, hope the light growth dies well -- not deep rooted & chopped well. Good dirt, enough sand to keep fluffed.

View attachment 25907View attachment 25908View attachment 25909ATTACH]View attachment 25910

so nice to have a big space with few complications like that along with it being good garden soil. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! It's flat but with just a hint of slant, evenly overall. So, heavy rains don't cause problems. 👍 My old stallion had walked a shallow trench at far side & left of those t-posts, by mares ☺️ so, there's even a little drainage help for downpours. (Thanks, Amego!)

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

View attachment 25907View attachment 25908View attachment 25909ATTACH]View attachment 25910
Very nice! I need one of those machines. I just don't have the 30K for it,lol