What did you do to MAKE money today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Canned 18 jars of peach-raspberry jam this morning. Sold 40 lb of beans to the local hospital this afternoon. And when I get home from work will can approximately 20 jars of chocolate-raspberry jam tonight.

14 jars of stewed tomatoes yesterday

Sometime this weekend need to do more pickles and dilly beans, plus probably a huge load of salsa if I can't sell 200 lb of tomatoes at market!

I sell the jam for $5 per half-pint jar.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I want the recipe for that jam. :drool

me&thegals

Reaction score
Per my memory, which I think is accurate in this case :)

4 1/2 cups crushed raspberries
4 T lemon juice
6 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 package dry pectin

I mixed the berries, pectin and cocoa powder thoroughly, plus lemon juice. Heat to a boil that can't be stirred down. Add sugar all at once. Stir well. Heat until rapidly
boiling again x 1 min. Pour into jars. Water bath or steam bath x 10 min. Yields 10 half-pint jars.

I had a person drive 30 min to find my market once to get 5 of these at once :) They sell very well at the market. I used to make pumpkin waffles, then smear
them with Nutella and drizzle raspberry sauce over the top for a treat. This recipe reminded me of that combination :)

It's technically called an ice cream topping in the Ball book, but I label it as Choc-Rasp jam for the market.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sold a young Ameraucana pullet for $10. Not much, but I'm only a few bucks away from being able to get my 300lbs of organic oats for the winter. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Per my memory, which I think is accurate in this case :)

4 1/2 cups crushed raspberries
4 T lemon juice
6 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 package dry pectin

I mixed the berries, pectin and cocoa powder thoroughly, plus lemon juice. Heat to a boil that can't be stirred down. Add sugar all at once. Stir well. Heat until rapidly
boiling again x 1 min. Pour into jars. Water bath or steam bath x 10 min. Yields 10 half-pint jars.

I had a person drive 30 min to find my market once to get 5 of these at once :) They sell very well at the market. I used to make pumpkin waffles, then smear
them with Nutella and drizzle raspberry sauce over the top for a treat. This recipe reminded me of that combination :)

It's technically called an ice cream topping in the Ball book, but I label it as Choc-Rasp jam for the market.
Sounds like jam to me, as well as ice cream topping.

LilyD

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Made over 12 quarts of spaghetti sauce and put it in the freezer. Sold a rooster (thank goodness) and three more hens ($5.00 for the roo and $8 for each hen). Next will be pickles and pickled banana peppers to can.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Yesterday canned 8 jars of mustard beans, 16 jars of dilly beans, 12 jars of peach jam, 12 jars of hot pepper jelly and now working on 24 pints of spaghetti sauce, all but the spaghetti sauce for sale at market for $5/jar.

Also had U-pick customers come out for tomatoes, beans and raspberries.

Trying to drum up sales at work for my tomatoes, which are producing 500-600 lb/week!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Me, again :)

Sold 15 chickens Sat, 2 yesterday, 20 today, 25+ tomorrow. Whoohoo!
Butchered 145 birds Sat, and it looks like most of them will be gone before
we need to freeze them.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I worked...am on for another 8 mins. I'd rather be canning or in the garden, but while that saves money it doesn't make any.

Where do y'all sell your canned goods? Around here you have to be inspected to get a license and it's an enormous PITA.