What did you do to save $ today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
We sold our Travel Trailer!!!!!!!!! :weee :weee :weee :weee :ya FINALLY DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got some money in the pockets to boot! WOOT! Next payment was supposed to be in 6 days, but NOW, it feels so good to NOT HAVE TO MAKE IT!! So ahem, we saved $306 a month for the next 34 months. I'm calm now :D Just had to et that out!
:ep

:celebrate

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I picked and cracked some FREE pecans today, and they are yummy...so good DD ate them ALL :rolleyes: Dang hollow legged teenagers! :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Fed free pumpkins and corn to some of the critters, and picked up more pumpkins. Tested Prototype B of the new Anti-Hay-Wasting-Goat-Feeding-Hay-Bags with good success, just another couple of minor adjustments for Prototype C.

Made a scrumptious pot pie with all homegrown or bought on super-sales ingredients, including homeground flour for $0.44 per lb and home-rendered lard for $0.89 per lb, approximately.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sales are good.

Tillamook cheddar cheese,,,,, 4.50 for 2 pounds

WW flour 22.5 cents a pound at Walmart,, a good brand too.

Gamma lid at walmart 4.89

Cambells canned mushroom soup 49 cents a can.... I got 10 - smiths

Gallo wine- burgendy and Pinot 5.39 a 1.5 leter bottle - smiths

Turkey 49 cents a pound, could of done better if I tried but It was late and I was tired of shopping.

Nally canned chili 79 cents a can - Smiths

American Beauty pasta, mixed varieties 1 lb for 49 cents. bought lots of this - Smiths

Stephens hot chocolate mic 2.50 a can at Smiths.

Winco lable pepper jack cheese 2.50 a pound,,, I suspect its tillamook in a different package

Turkey breast, unprocessed.. $1.49 a bound.... cheaper than chicken... (and hush! I don't have access to home grown chicken)

Delmonte canned tomatoes, mixed variety 16 oz can 49 cents.

Annabelle

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
My biggest money saving technique lately is to just not go grocery shopping as often. It helps that I limit how much cash I have on hand for a two week period. When it runs out, I'm done. There is a tendency to feel like I need this or that, but it turns out that I often can make do for longer than I imagined. Some times this means making substitutions in my cooking. Some times it just means going without.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Annabelle said:
Hello,
My biggest money saving technique lately is to just not go grocery shopping as often. It helps that I limit how much cash I have on hand for a two week period. When it runs out, I'm done. There is a tendency to feel like I need this or that, but it turns out that I often can make do for longer than I imagined. Some times this means making substitutions in my cooking. Some times it just means going without.
I do that a lot too. I saved money today by not buying anything, although there are a few things I might ought to pick up sometime in the next month or so...but I aint goin today :p

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My fiance got a deer!!! Woot! Going to go cut it up tomorrow. We are buying less meat lately and eating venison, rabbit and fish more. We'll get our venison sausage back next week. Should be enough to last a year again. :crossfingers:

He has 2 more tags left and I hope he gets another. I really like venison and I LOVE skipping the mystery meat sections of the grocery stores.

My neighbor got 3 deer. He is going to cut them up tonight and I asked him to save the fat for me. He's giving me the hides too. Probably not the brains though. Pout. Maybe I'll try the Murphy Oil Soap tanning? Or suck it up and do the modern commercial tanning?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We bought a half a cow, wow, so much cheaper that store bought. I used to buy it this way all the time but lost my butcher...now we found a guy not too far from here who breeds and raises cattle in the pasture all summer...mmmm good!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Wannabefree said:
We sold our Travel Trailer!!!!!!!!! :weee :weee :weee :weee :ya FINALLY DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got some money in the pockets to boot! WOOT! Next payment was supposed to be in 6 days, but NOW, it feels so good to NOT HAVE TO MAKE IT!! So ahem, we saved $306 a month for the next 34 months. I'm calm now :D Just had to et that out!
:ep

:celebrate
CONGRATS! CAUSE I have one and I know the market is not easy to sell one of these right now --luxury items don't like this don't hold their values.

my payment is only $230 a month lol not as bad as yours but for now, I just love the camping and would never give it up......but so glad you got rid of yours!!!!! well ya want to sell those, having that sale makes you high as a kite!

When I sold our truck camper for $11K what I had left to pay on it, I was thru the roof! I thought for sure I would take a dive but I got out so lucky on that one.

$306 is a nice chunk of change to have off the monthly bills!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha, I just found this thread. Today I spent $147.00 on horse feed for horses that serve no useful purpose other than to eat all they can. And besides, I like 'em. LOL Then I went to the grocery store and spent $158.00. Oh, I had to fill up the truck before I went to the feed store and that was $78.00. At the grocery store, I bought sugar, flour, spices, meat, laundry soap, bread, (buy one, get one free), toilet paper, paper towels, fruit, and a bag of groceries to give to the food bank. I worked all week so I could spend it......sigh. I guess the good news is that I rarely go to the store, we eat out of our garden and freezer. I just needed to stock up on some things. The grocery store checker totaled up all the sales, buy 1 get 1, and I saved $17.00